Backfires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Sep 29, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

My Encore 36" with 14hp kawi wil backfire from time to time after I turn it off.

It's pretty new, about 50 hours. Is this normal?

2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

probably, mine does it frequently.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

yes, very common...

let it idle for a minute before you shut it off.

btw...nu83...how do ya like the mag1000??? lucky!!

4. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I like it alot, makes balancing easy and fun! lol

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a fuel shutoff? we always just idle down ours and shut the fuel off. also on my walker i shut it down at 1/3 throttle(kohler) and it doesn't backfire.

6. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

When I'm shuttin off any of my equipment, I'll first throw the throttle down to idle for 10 to 20 seconds, then shut them down. I'f ya shut them down at full or half throttle, there is gas still getting into the combustion chamber. when the engine reaches a point where the engine is hardly running any r.p.m., the gases will accumilate and from the heat, egnight,and thus, there's your backfire (this is my opinion).

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Kohler 25 that did that and my 15 does more of a continued run after shutting down but I have never once had a backfire out of my 26EFI.

8. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Like every one else said, let it cool down for a moment before shut down. On the Lazer, I shut the fuel off and let it run out of fuel and shut it self off. A little time is saved waiting to shut them mower off to go do something else.

Just remember to turn the key off. :D

9. turfdog

turfdog LawnSite Member
    from NE

I have a 52" Toro Z master with 23hp Kaw motor. Dealer said that both Kohler and Kaw motors tend to backfire. Kohler much worse. He told me to reduce to idle and turn off engine. As soon as you turn off the engine, then open the choke right away. Yes this seems to stop the backfire!

10. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

My Choppers backfire all the time when you shut them down, I think it's pretty common.