Backfiring

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rosenlawnservice, May 24, 2008.

1. rosenlawnservice

rosenlawnservice LawnSite Member

I have a 2007 60" Super Z with xr7 deck and 27 Horse Kholer engine. Ever since I bought this mower the motor has always had backfiring problems. A colleague of mine who bought the same mower at about the same time says he also has this problem. If you dont let the engine idle for 5 minutes the motor backfires when you shut it off and sometimes still backfires when you wait. Does anybody else have this problem? Is it just a property of this particular engine model. Any suggestions Hustler?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is something that happens from time to time.
    Your best bet would be to shut the engine off at 3/4 to full throttle, this is your best chance of it not happening.

Pj

3. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

let the engine idle for 30 seconds then bump the throttle up to half before or as you turn off the key to get it off the rich idle circuit.

4. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Kohlers........

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

As PJ says, shut it down at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. You have hot air leaving the muffler, and when you go to shut it off, it sucks in cold air (different pressure trying to equalize) So what you get is cold/warm front hitting each other (thunder). There was a service bulletin about this. This is straight from Kohler. Won't hurt your engine.

6. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

It's not just the Kohlers. My Kawi does the same thing and I've tried all sorts of throttle positions. There's more to it then that.

7. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

have a kohler EFI with 500 hrs. that has never done this. have a honda 24 hp. that does it 80% of the time.

8. naturegardens

naturegardens LawnSite Member

yep my 30hp 08 sz had this proplem from day one
    i just shutdown motor at 3/4 throttle seems to stop any back
    firing issues just nature of engine :cool2:

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had one 27 hp Kohler on a Super Z that would backfire in every throttle position except wide open. The Kohler engineers explained what was taking place and suggested 3/4 to full throttle. I started switching it off at full throttle and it never backfired again not even once.

I told them it was against my religion to switch an engine off at full throttle. They said there is absolutely no problem doing this with their air cooled engines. The air cooled engine actually cooled better at full throttle and would have a tendency to get hotter at idle for a period of time. I still had a hard time with this at first but when I saw how well it worked it never bothered me again.

There are some post on LawnSite where I told people about this and they had the same results.

10. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

My hustler has a 17HP Kawi. Should I be shutting it off at full throttle? Does it also cool better at full throttle?