Backflow Course

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ARGOS, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Finally getting to one of my New Year's resolutions and taking the Back Flow Cross Connection Certification course and exam next week. 40 class room hours in one week. Fortunately half the time is hands on. I am taking the class through the American Water Works Association.

Considering the Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor for next year.

"This course (half lecture and half hands-on training) provides the testing and maintenance methods for backflow prevention assemblies. Participants will learn how to recognize various backflow preventers and the proper procedures for testing each assembly under a variety of test conditions. This course will review all the rules, codes, and regulations on backflow requirements."

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What does the backflow cert do for you? Do you need it for what you do? Or just want to have it under your belt for knowledge? I have a cross connection license for installing BFVs and pulling permits. I haven't used the license in 3 or 4 years although I keep paying to renew it, but I still like having it.

Ewing is having another auditor class and test in September. I'm signing up for that Monday. I took the class a year and a half ago, but never did the test. I still have the IA book for it, so I can read up throughout the year too.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

My class was spread over 8wks. I have a lot of quizes that I kept and I have in word docs. I think you will be flooded with a lot of info when trying to learn everything in one week. If you have any questions, just ask.

4. ARGOS

The cert will enable me to test and certify "installed" backflow devices. I can install a BF with my contractors license, but cannot certify the device after install, I have to call in a certified tester to do the test after a new install.

Additionally all BF devices that are on cross connections (supplied with both well and public water) are required to get tested annually. The purveyor sends out post cards to everyone with a BF on file and tells them they need to get the BF tested before such and such a date or else their public water will be turned off. HOAs and industrial complexes also have to have their BFs tested annually. The problem that comes up (and has been discussed alot here) is that enforcement is another issue. So, the building department enforces an install of a BF, but the water company doesn't follow up with annual testing nor proper documentation. If a water company is not doing proper documentation and a BF falls through the cracks and there is then an actual BF event, then the tester could find themselves in the middle of a lawsuit (should one occur).

I can also do BF on fire systems, but I doubt I will do that very often because fire systems require a flow test from a fire system guy (not sure what the regs are?)

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It's a good, money making ticket to have. I used to test fire lines, but quit
    because of all the who-hah we had to go through: call the alarm company,
    call the Fire Dept, get the key to the mechanical room, etc. Good luck. :clapping:

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

As much as a PITA as it sounds, if they could all be sceduled for winter.......

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Now that would be ideal.

8. Mike Leary

Get those rates up; those 6" & up fire lines are hard to even shut the iso valves down, then there's the matter of parts; something we don't normally
    carry in the trucks. Leave it to the fire guys.

9. ARGOS

The other aspect of this is that a fire system requires a flow test every fives years. The flow test is another cert. I am trying to stay focused on irrigation/landscape.

10. Mike Leary

At least, fire lines are done well, unlike most backflow installs. If the fire line is in a vault, OSHA requires all sorts of rules being followed, including breathing apparatus and harness and stand-by safety people.