Backflow Devices Required in California for Residential?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

One of my employees came up from CA a few years ago. In a Manager's meeting today we were discussing irrigation, proper zoning methods, different kinds of backflow devices, etc.

He said that where he came from (San Diego area) that they never had to install backflow devices for residential irrigation systems. It was only required for commercial jobs. Is that true? I thought pretty much every major city or county in the U.S. had backflow requirements for residential irrigation systems. ESPECIALLY California, I would think. They are the world leaders in regulation of any kind...

Anyone know if this is true?

2. hamham

hamham LawnSite Member

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

California Code of Regulations
    Title 23. Waters
    Division 2. Department of Water Resources
    Chapter 2.7. Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance

ยง 492.7 Irrigation Design Plan.
    (F) Backflow prevention devices shall be required to protect the water supply from contamination by the irrigation system. A project applicant shall refer to the applicable local agency code (i.e., public health) for additional backflow prevention requirements.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

most any state with a building code is going to have requirements to protect the potable water in a building

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to read page 220 of some long PDF Form. I don't care to go read some state code. I just wanted a simple yes or no answer.

Are backflow devices required when you install an irrigation system on a residential property in most major cities in CA?

Does anyone have a simple yes or no answer for that? I'm just curious. I'm not going to be installing ANYTHING in CA, EVER. I was just curious if my employee was correct or if the company he was working for was just doing it wrong.

6. Wet_Boots

Figure your employee was blowing it out his ass - California has been requiring lawn-sprinkler backflow prevention for a very long time, even in San Diego county. They have the same anti-syphon valve setups as elsewhere in the state.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is that all they require, or a BF in addition to ASV's? Maybe thats what the employee was talking about.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto,tell the new guy he's full of it. The Western States, including British Columbia and Alberta, all take their regs from California. I believe it's U.C. Davis that sets the specs for all facets of cross-connection, INCLUDING resi.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. Wet_Boots

California has their own "alphabet-soup" standards organization, but I don't know if neighboring states switched away from older standards, like those of ASSE. Either way gets you the protection.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

And both ways should be enforced; therein lies the rub. :hammerhead: