Backflow Preventer Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Richie1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Richie1

Richie1 LawnSite Member

A few of my neighbors came by to talk to me while I was outside working on my sprinkler valves and manifold at my house. They mentioned our town recently sent them letters stating they need to have a Backflow Preventer installed on their sprinkler main if they haven't already, which they have not.

I don't know why we haven't received this letter, but I thought it would be wise for me to deal with it now while everything is dug up. Like them, our system has never had a backflow preventer, so I'd like to add it now rather than being told to do it later on.

This system does not have a MV, just a spinkler water main shut-off valve in the basement, which is 1" copper that is run to my 11 zone manifold. I really don't know exactly what to purchase and prices also seem to vary greatly for this part, not to mention there are single check valve type, double check valve, and pneumatic. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. You should call your town/city/county or whichever wrote the letter to your neighbors and ask them....they will dictate the type of backflow required.

I wish my town would do this to its' fine citizens... ;)

3. Richie1

Richie1 LawnSite Member

Thanks Tony, I'll do that and post what's required.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you can locate a Pressure Vacuum Breaker in your main supply line, and have the device at least a foot higher than any sprinkler head, that would be the way to go. Some NY towns lean towards using Double Check Valve Assembly devices, but they aren't toxic-rated, like the PVBs are. If you already have a PVB in the line, by the time the town looks your way, I don't think they would want you downgrade the plumbing.

5. Richie1

Richie1 LawnSite Member

Hi there Wetboots,

I'd like to go the PVB route, but my wife is very into archtectual grasses, and Day Lillies. Both of these type of plants grow very tall and full. Due to this, I've temporarily had to add tall extensions for some of the sprinkler heads to clear them in order to water the surrounding areas sufficiently. Some are upwards of 3 feet off the ground now. As you indicated, the PVB must be at least 12" above the tallest head, so this wouldn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Change over to a Netafim Drip System in the beds for better watering. Then you can go with the 12 inch bump on the PVB and not have too many problems What do you guys think?

7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I think beds should be watered by hand.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A RPZ backflow preventer will pass in any county that requires a PVB, and has no height limitations.

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I believe it must be above ground.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yes simply because we don't want contaminated water to enter the relief port.

It has no elevation restrictions otherwise.