Backflow Preventer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by robsherrard, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, installing one and testing it every year are two different points of responsibility: If it's not tested, and the installer does not take responsibility, why put it it in? :dizzy:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. MostWantedLandscape

MostWantedLandscape LawnSite Member

Here in Utah most city's have a cross connection program. The citys will shut off your water meter and lock you out without a yearly test. Being one of the few licensed backflow testers in the valley pays well. But renewing that license every 3 years sucks.

3. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

I live in (2) states and have yet to see anyone check on (northeast and TX). In northeast, not required per my city. And I agree why bother.

Once install, not the installers issue.

4. Mike Leary

A non-tested backflow assembly, in most situations, will silt the checks up, and act like a PRV.

5. bx24

from MA/TX

Yup, and no one will know or really care. Just speaking from past workings in the field. It is cheaper to replace then have inspected. If the homeowner even know, cares, or knows where it is.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Even new installs require tests in most states.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Mike Leary

They are required before they can be put into service up here.

8. bx24

from MA/TX

Not in TX, MA and CT. Testing at install is great and how about years down the road? It is a fee that is most times higher than a complete new PVB.

9. Mike Leary

Shoot me, I can't believe how lax backflor regs are in different states. :hammerhead:

10. bx24

from MA/TX

It is a joke. If a biz...tested.......homeowner...nothing...The enforcement is a joke...go figure, unless the city/town needs revenue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.