Backflow Preventer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by robsherrard, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

2. irritation

They don't make any money off backflow testing.

3. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

In my area they do. They came up with a "filing fee" they charge for ever test submitted. Never get sick of hearing homeowners complain about it.

4. irritation

There is a lot of work to keep track of it, most just add it to the water bills.

5. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Not in my 2 state I live in. Also how does the city even know whom has systems? My water meter is in my house and the city it NOT allowed in my house unless a paper from a judge.

Here the city charges business $100 for checking it and they wanted to start charging people for testing but it was shot down.

To me it is not needed since I would need data to prove it is not 6 sigma.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Since when are Texas water meters located indoors?

7. cppendergrast

cppendergrast LawnSite Member

We have been under the EPA's scrutiny since the mid 80's, after a cross-connection violation left 1100 people drinking sewer water from a contaminated well at a country club. First four people got $1.5 mil each and owners with "high hazard" systems, ie. irrigation, pools, medical, list goes on and on, get to maintain reduced pressure backflow assemblies.

Our testing procedures here have moved from private testers, of which I have been one since 86', to one company which contracts to test all in each utility district. This is so the EPA can get each device tested every 12 months, and not one day later. They couldn't keep their thumb on private testers and deadlines were being missed.

I expect the regulators will eventually win and all will be subjected to these codes.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Our purveyor had a very cool Canadian tracking and memory software program for backflow. We could read history and therefore, bust "drive-by" testing. :hammerhead:

9. bx24

from MA/TX

Never stated they were..I live in 2 states and my TX water meter is 50 ft from my house in Katy...Easy to adjust.

10. bx24

from MA/TX

But how does anyone know you have it or not? My city in MA or TX has no clue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.