Backflow Preventer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by robsherrard, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Then they're morons, and the whole Clean Water Act was bullshit.

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Almost all states require a permit for a new install. So they know.

The old systems, I'm not sure, but they may have used the meter readers to see who had irrigation. Some of my basement taps don't receive notices.

3. cppendergrast

cppendergrast LawnSite Member

For real.... some cities dispatched workers to document residences with sprinkler heads in strategic spots. Early morning drivebys to see properties with symmetrical watering patterns on the hardscapes for those with imperfect coverage..... They can figure it out. They can compare water usage over a period of time to recognize whats up?

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think so. Yes they could figure it out, but they wouldn't bother.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Water meters remain the property of the purveyor, and they retain the right to inspect and replace them. If you want to be a hard case about allowing access, you will lose the war in order to win a battle, because the purveyor will shut off your supply, whereupon the town can declare the dwelling to be uninhabitable, which allows them to condemn the dwelling, and at no time is there ever a judge or courtroom involved.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Wars were fought over water and fences not too many moons back Shoes. The wild west is still wild, they're just a little quieter and sneakier :eek:
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

the tin gods of those civilized municipalities have it all worked out payup

8. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Again not in MA or TX. No permits need for sprinklers. And the meters in MA are in THEIR homes basements..

9. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Again you do not live in MA so I know m city laws. Cannot come inside my house, period. Come with police means ZERO. The water shut off is beyond the 10ft easement.

Live here and know what you are talking about in MA.

10. Wet_Boots

It's the civilized Northeast, bunky. They worked out this stuff long before you were born. A purveyor denied access to their water meter will shut off the service. They can even break up the pavement to get to the actual tap, if need be. That goes in every state of the union. A home without a potable water supply can and will be condemned as a municipality sees fit. A condemned dwelling can be padlocked from the outside. None of that requires any stretch of the imagination. At no time is your home ever entered, but it ceases to be your happy castle.

More local would be state and local laws concerning fines for homeowners who are being goddam nuisances. I remember reading an article about the countdown for one home that the owner was to be evicted from because it was foreclosed to satisfy the liens placed on it by the town that applied a daily fine, as was permitted by local ordinance. The homeowner never did comply with whatever local ordinance it was that began the conflict, and he had great fun painting the house flat black, and blaring rotten music from every window, after the fines piled up into five figures and foreclosure was obtained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.