Backflow Problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SobeHall, May 31, 2008.

1. SobeHall

SobeHall LawnSite Member

My FEBCO backflow,has a crack slightly above the turnoff. What's the best way to fix this? I have pics but for some reason I can't post on the site, if anyone thinks they could help I could send the pic directly to their email. Thank you!!

It's not leaking, but when I turn the valve on it sprays me with water out of the cracked part.//JHall

Looks like the pic did work.

febcot65.jpg

2. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Well is it split on the actual ball valve or is it split on the backflow itself? If it is the ball valve you can just replace it otherwise you will have to replace the backflow most likely..

Looks like the picture worked, yeah you can just replace that ballvalve and be on your way

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Copper pipe has to be cut. Twist backflow preventer off. Twist existing ball valve off. Install thread tape on threads. Thread on new ball valve. solder pipe back together.

That is not the original ball valve so it has been replaced before.

4. SobeHall

SobeHall LawnSite Member

I circled in red right above the red cutoff valve. I'm not to sure about all of the correct terms dealing with this, so I'm not sure what the ball valve is.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ball valve is the portion that is cracked. It is appx. 2"-3" long, has female (internal) threads, and the handle which closes it off for isolation. Crack is from freezing. Most likely the handle was turned 90 degrees to the closed position for the winter, trapping water inside.

It was probably leaking last year as well as indicated by the corrosion and deposits on the handle and the housing.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And who the heck installed the grounding wire on the testcock valve? :dizzy: Let me guess, it goes to either dish or cable for TV

7. SobeHall

SobeHall LawnSite Member

Actually there is a dish on the side of the house, but it was there before we moved in, in February. I asked the same question when I first saw it like that.

So pretty much what you're saying is I need to remove the bottom part of the backflow (the ball valve) amd replace it, but it's going to require soldering on the pipe coming out of the house? Is there anyway to get around the soldering, or any idea how much it would cost just to get someone else to do it?

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No, pipe must be cut. You could go the route of the cutting the pipe, and using Shark Bite fittings to re-couple it, but I have never used those. No opinion on them yet. My company can do it for between $85-$100 if there are no other problems to the system. If you want us to do it, email me directly (follow link to website). We are booked up for a minimum of 7-10 days though.

9. SobeHall

SobeHall LawnSite Member

Would I have to solder if I used a coupling?? I've been told I could use a coupling ... I've been trying to get this figured out since February, now I have no sprinklers to water my yard.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Why can't you water the lawn? It will probably leak a little but turn it back off after the cycle is running. And sometimes it won't leak in the fully open or fully closed position, and only leak when turning from one to the other.

Yes the pipe should be cut and a copper coupler solder back in to repair the cut pipe. that is the kind of coupler I am talking about.