1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backflow testing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Feb 4, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How many of you are certified to TEST, not install, backflow preventers? How difficult was the test? How expensive? How expensive is the equipment to buy for testing? And how much work do you get from it?

I am thinking about doing it because a fire sprinkler company approached me about it. I am not certified to test, but would be willing to get it if there is enough money in it. Also what is the going rate for testing, if it is in your area with minimal drivetime? Are all sizes charged the same? And can you make repairs at that time if it fails?

2. carltip

carltip LawnSite Member

I am certified by the state of Texas to test backflows for everthing but fire sprinklers. This a totally different certification for us. It was around $500 for the required class as well as the test. My conbraco test gauge was also around $500. I got the certification for my own use. I was tired of waiting around for someone to come and test my systems so I could call in inspections. I do test also for severial other irrigators in my area, and the going rate is $50 dollars an inch meaning a 1" = $50 a 2" = $100 and so on. I don't really understand this seeing as the test is the same regardless of size but a pvb is alot easier to test then a rp??? As far as repairs, technically I am not to put the device back in service if it falls the test. If the owner wants to pay me to do the repairs or not is up to them. Most of the local communities around here recquire testing upon installation as well annually thereafter the problem is there is absolutly no zero nada enforcement. We try to educate and most of the systems we install get tested annually but I would say 98% of the systems around here have never been tested after there initial installation. If the enforement were just there.....$$$$.
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to irrigation so bare with me. What is a pvb and a rp short for?
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Pressure Vacuum Breaker - PVB
    Reduced Pressure Assembly - RP
  5. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

How does one become certified installing/testing backflow preventers? I currently do the installation in everything else.
  6. CMKC

CMKC LawnSite Member
    from KC

I am certified in KS and MO. The class took a week to take and the test was one day. The testing procedure was 100 questions for the written and for the hands-on we had to test the PVB,RP, and the Double Check. The proctors had the option of making eack backflow either fail or pass at a moments notice. (They had by-pass tubes to make the backflow fail.)
    If you just pay attention you can pass. If not ....well...you get the picture.
  7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys.:)