Backflow Valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DavidR, Apr 5, 2008.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I went to turn on my system this spring and noticed that the backflow must have frozen. The brass has a small crack in it, I can only assume it was done by freezing at some point over the winter.

So, I need to replace this valve. Are there any recommendations? I would like a valve that was less prone to freezing if one exists. Is one brand a higher quality then another? Any that I should stay away from?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

2. I don't know of any metal or plastic with water in it that doesn't match the temperature of the atmosphere around it. So the short answer is all valves will freeze at below freezing temps. The long answer is draining your system properly since air in the lines won't expand and crack valves and pipe.

3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response. I typically drain my system but time got away from me this year so it didn't get done unfortunately.

Do you have any recommendations of what I should replace it with?

4. What you had installed was probably what you need to replace it with. I'm out of your area bur here it would most likely be a double check valve assembly. Do you have any model numbers on your backflow? Check city codes in Richmond, VA to be safe. We love pics by the way. So a pic would get a lot of good responses.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What Fimco said is right on. Whatever you have in place is probably what is required. And no matter what is installed, if not taken care of properly, will crack due to freezing. Brass, copper, plastic, galvanized, everything.

I froze mine years ago when I had one. Nice warm January spell, turned it back on, and forgot about it.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I expect Virginia is one of the states requiring toxic-rated backflow protection. As said, just match what's already there, for the simplest replacement.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Freeze? What's that? :confused:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Some guy named Foster owns it, apparently
    [​IMG]

9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Alright, here are some pics of what I took off of my system. Tried to get a closeup of the tag but the lighting was bad so I didn't get the best pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

were is the crACK , YOU MAY BE ABLE TO REPLACE JUST THE BALL VALVE IF THATS WERE ITS CRACKED.