1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Background Check - New Employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacPhersonlawn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone do a background check or some type of inspection report on potential new employees? Just had someone call me looking for work, he said his house burned down this winter and he had some "problems" with his job.
    Lots of red flags here. I'm just curious if some of you do anykind of checking.
  2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

if your county or city have civil and criminal records online, that's the first place i'd check. i do this for prospective employees and subs.

whether those are available or not, a good way to guage them is ask them right off the bat whether they have a problem undergoing a criminal background check. i've found this eliminates wasting my time as 30+% of the time they just hang up. if they offer an explanation right off, that goes a long way in guaging their character.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why shouldn't an ex con be allowed to work?
  4. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Do (or would) you give jobs to people with criminal records?
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

sure, why not. i used a guy last year that spent 2.5 yrs on a georgia chain gang. the guy was a perfect gentleman
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Why wouldn't he, he has one. :p

I was a cop for many years and just because a person as a record doesn't always make them a bad guy.
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Well, if I do a background check and find out this guy has been in for auto theft or burglary, he wont be getting my truck keys of being left at the shop alone!!!!
  8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend of mine in law enforment that does all back ground checks for me,that way I can make determination on employeement...I've never had a problem with people that have criminal backgrounds...
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

He probably wont need your keys either. I think most guys around here that are looking for this type of job have been in trouble in the past, some change, some dont.
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

for you guys saying that many with criminal backgrounds are not bad guys, i completely agree and would like to clarify.

to me, the bad vibe you'd get before finding any form of a criminal background is the big warning sign. i always go with my intuition first and foremost. where i said that when i ask if they mind undergoing a background check and they hang-up, that's warning enough if they have no interest in explaining. i want someone that's got credibility. hanging up or lying gives me a nice snapshot of credibility.

i should add that the reason my guys undergo bg checks is that they are in people's homes doing replacement window installs. if it's a siding guy or lawn guy, it's not as big a concern, but honesty about their past needs to be displayed.