Backhoe or Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mbella, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to put this in the Hardscape Forum, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, what do you guys use to excavate for patios/walkways? Do you use a backhoe or a skid steer and why?
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny! I found this thread IN the hardscape forum! Anyway.......we use a skid steer to excavate all patios and walks. I find I have more control over the amount of soil being taken away and it leaves the sub grade a little more level for compacting. The only time I use a backhoe is if I'm building a raised patio and I need to excavate for the walls, but I still use the skid steer to remove any sod from the patio area. There is a LCO in my area that uses a backhoe for excavating and every time I see him digging a patio it looks as if he is building a pool! I asked him why he prefers the Hoe over a skidder and he says "It's all I have!" ;) :dizzy: Ever hear of renting????? maybe the cost of the rental will save you a couple of triaxles of stone! DUH!