Backhoe Pricing for Snow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cat320, Sep 23, 2000.

1. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a machine that i can put on the road and really wanted to know what every one else get for pricing them.It's a '97 580L 4X4 1yd bucket.How would you price it by the hour for big lots or if small just qoute a price for the whole thing or do by the hour with a min time.I was figureing for snow removal about $75-80 per hour is that a good range for that size machine?

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Bid on a lot like you would any other job. The difference is with the hoe, it will go quicker. The only time i use an hour rate is when relocating or hauling snow.

Geoff

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Geoff, but don't just use the bucket. Get a pusher for it and make it fly.

We price 'per push' jobs as if we are using plow trucks, and then put loaders with pusher on the site to increase efficiency (and profits).

There are some accounts that you have to do by the hour if you want them (Home Depot is a prime example). If so, and with a pusher, the rates must rise dramatically to cover the increased efficiency of the unit.

This subject should generate alot of responses.

4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

When I have to do hourly work with my Hoe and loaders I charge an extra $40 per hour for the pusher.That gets my big loader up at around 140/per hour.Ive got a great story about this,we do the airport, we got our pusher and they were not on the bid sheet but I billed for them anyway. Well it just about gave the city guy a heart attack to see that hourly price so we had to quit using them.So now it takes us 4 times as long as before to push the snow out from between 3 sets of hangers and of the apron.Cool for me but shows lack of understanding of the power of the pusher.

5. John Allin

Unfortunately, that's more the norm that most might think. It's a shame that they don't let us do our job. We can save them lots of money if they would just listen and trust that we are just a bunch of yahoo's that can't find real jobs.

6. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

We charge $95 per hour for moving piles of snow with a mochine simaler to yours. However normal plowing with you machine should be bid just like everything else. Keep in mind it is a more costly machine but it will take less time. we plow quote aprox 100 per hour with truck of big machine

7. cat320

Thanks for all the
    info guys.I saw those ProTech Pushers and was thinking of putting one on but was not sure that they would be better than a regular plow set up.One other question would i need chains for it if i did put one on it.

8. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

No chains would be needed!!! if you use them you might do more damige than good!!!!

9. John Allin

Only if you want to get into the pavement repair business......

10. cat320

ok that answers that question you guys use more front end loaders which i wish i had asmall komatsu 120-180 would be great for the lots in my area but getting one used is inpossable most are in tought shape and then the ones that arn't cost big$$$. what size is good for those pushers should i stay at 10' or go bigger for my 580?