Backhoe slop

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by coopers, Aug 14, 2008.

1. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

So the most common thing I see on old backhoes is the hoe is just loose as hell. I was watching a 580C for a few and man was the hoe moving while the guy drove it around. Is that expensive to correct or do people not care? The old case hoes I used had slop and got a tad annoying but the backhoe today I watched was far worse; I would go NUTS. I was just curious about that and thought I'd ask.

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

my friend calls it machine Parkinson's!

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Seems to me most people just don't care. I don't know how much a re-pin and bushing job would cost on a backhoe, but that would be the fix. Just think of it this way; if you come across some utilities while digging, you'll have a little wiggle room. The 580SL I'm running at work has 6300 hours, it slops around a little but not too bad. I don't mind the slop as much when I'm actually using the hoe, it actually irritates me more when you tuck in the hoe and are running around, hit some rough ground, and the whole back end of the machine does it's own thing. To me, that's almost more irritating.

4. crab

i agree scag that's all pins and bushings,if they haven't egged out you're fine.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

our one 580 super M does it...it gets a little annoying when you are doing loader work, just have to reach behind you and push the lever to fully retract the cylinder every now and again....it has nothing to do with pins and bushings...it is an O-ring inside the control that is bad and allows the pressure to seep out of the cylinder basically allowing it to go into "float" so it smacks back and forth against the machine stop and the boom lock

6. coopers

Yeah I had to do the same thing for my hoe, just push the control forward to bring it back. The only thing with the hoe I was watching is that it's side-to-side was very bad. So if you replaced the O-ring it should go away then?

7. crab

sorry digger started on shut hoes didnt know they had a float setting,i was referring to bucket slop and the like,thanks for the learning.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're right, the slop from the hoe bouncing back and forth when running around with the seat facing forward is from hydraulics bleeding off. I just assumed that coopers was talking about pin and bushing slop, I can handle that, but the bleed off is definately more of a hassle for me. I must've re-tucked in the hoe like 10 times yesterday in 5 hours time. Not that big of a deal, but it always seems to get you when you least expect it. Hit a bump and you're fine, 2 minutes later the hoe is slapping all over the place, almost like the problem comes from nowhere.

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Slop is not too bad, if you are carefully scraping off soil, and the bucket tip catches the pipe, it might save the edge from piercing, I've had that happen 3 times now while "looking" for gas and electrical lines. But when the bucket actually self levels itself, it's time to head into the shop.

10. coopers

Yeah I should have been more specific. My attention was really captured by the massive side-to-side movement. Buckets slop is another story.