1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe video

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NateV, Dec 21, 2006.

1. NateV

NateV LawnSite Senior Member

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Man, that has to but a damper in your day. I guess noone noticed there was no ground supporting that concrete before he backup up that far.........
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Some folk just shouldn't be running equipment. Never work parallel to your excavation either.
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Note to self. Do not hire punk kids that wear their hat on backwards. At least his boss has good taste in backhoes.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Whoops :laugh:

Guy must have had a decent headache :hammerhead:
  6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Bad operating tactics, perhaps, but no saying he was some "punk kid" ... what if he was the boss's son and it was his simply first week on the job?

Not sticking up for him, and here's my proof: scag, when you say "Never work parallel to your excavation," what does that mean? (I'm not trying to corner anyone: I honestly don't know!) I can see that he's driving parallel to his excavation, but what is the correct procedure? [So that if I'm ever in this situation, I don't do the same thing...]
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Typically speaking, it's an excavator term. But, you should never put a machine parallel to a hole in case it gives way. If this guy had been perpendicular to the hole, the machine would have stayed right side up, only the front end would have fallen in. Sure he would have fallen in, but it probably wouldn't have been as bad and getting the machine out would have been much easier.
  8. Gravel Rat

I don't think I would be that close to a unsupported edge especially if its black top but that looked like concrete.

The rule of thumb is always know what the machine is sitting on or running on.

The boy from the hood running that backhoe should have gunned it in reverse soon as he felt the front end sinking.
  9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

What Scag is saying also applies to operating parallel to slopes too. I saw a guy slide a D4 into a big retention pond and water went over the hood. All you could see was the exhaust pipe and the rops. This happened in 20 degree weather. He's lucky he got out O.K. He was grading the banks parallel with the pond, and it was muddy/frozen and he just slid into the pond. If he was grading perpendicular to the pond, he could have put his blade down and at least stopped the machine. I use the same concept when backfilling basements. Some of the overdigs can be 6 + feet from the wall, and I always try not to run parallel too close to the wall, for fear of what the guy on the 580 did.:eek:
  10. Gravel Rat

One job I was on I was viberatory roller operator packing a area that was being built up going along a edge that wasn't to bad before we built up the area after the area was built up it was a good 25 feet to the bottom of the ditch on the side of the highway. I was very nervous being 10 inches away from the edge there was no quick movements on the steering wheel :eek:

The roller weighed 10 ton thats all I would want would be taking a barrel roll down a hill my butt cheeks were pretty tense working along the edge.