backhoe???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rfed32, May 7, 2006.

1. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Well better than digging by hand probably. I would rather have a skid steer attachment back hoe than that and thats saying something. If you don't have a skid steer I would just rent a mini ex. when you needed to dig out patios or footings. 4400 dollars would buy a lot of rental time and you can rent exactly what you need. Granted you would not own anything for your rental expense but I don't think that is worth owning IMHO.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That thing is more of a joke than anything else. I agree with Ksss your better off renting a mini or spending the money on buying a decent used mini.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd stick with renting. Save yourself the $4500 and just bill your rentals to your customer. Until you have at least $15K to spend on a used piece, I'd stick with renting.

5. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i agree with the others. it says it has 4400 lbs. of digging force, but a machine that light i would think would get drug all over theplace while digging. also it seems ot be backwards. the tow bar seems like it would get in the of working.
    good luck

6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I wouldnt use that for anything more than a kids toy.

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

im guessing its a different brand, but the gas company in chicago has lots of machines like this. they use the snot out of them.

8. laren

laren LawnSite Member

Buying 6.5 acreas horse pasture/woodlot and 1.5 acres of a 10 acrea lake.
    The lake is about 40 years old and has filled in a lot.
    Just wondering if the little back hoe would be worth investing in for general maintaince and projects.....thinking along the lines of building a small pontoon to set the back hoe on for digging out some of the lake.
    I have a 28 hp kubota that I could put a hoe on, but thought the trenchman would be more versitile, and easier to float.
    Has anyone got any suggestions.
    thanks
    laren

9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

That Trencherman might work O.K. for small things, like digging a sump line, but I would put the cost of it towards something else. I assume that the pull bar detaches? Otherwise, tnmtm is right, I think it would be in your way.

I would either add the backhoe attachment to your Kubota, or try to find a good deal on a used mini-X, that you could sell after you were finished with it, for close to what you paid for it. If you have a wooded lot, you'll run into a lot of roots that you'll need a machine with a little bit of a$$ on it. I think that Trencherman would bounce around and not be able to pull nearly as good. If you're really serious about the Trencherman, check out some rental yards in your area to see if anyone carries anything similar. If you find one, rent it for a day and see how it does.

10. laren

laren LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply dozerman21
    It looks like the stab. does slide back into the frame, which would allow for a smaller pontoon possibly.
    I'm looking up phone numbers now to see if I can rent.
    Will let you know If I get to try it out.
    laren