Backhoes for skid steer, opinions needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scag48, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a backhoe attachment for our 216 and I need some feedback. Now I'm focusing on the Cat brand backhoes for a couple of reasons. One of them is that you can run the backhoe from inside the cab, the controls are right in front of you, so no getting out of the cab and up onto the other seat of the backhoe, makes it faster to reposition, makes sense. Another thing that I have seen is the side-shift style setup. Looks to be handy for digging next to buildings where you can sideshift the whole boom and all left or right to dig next to walls and such. Also the vertical stabilizers will be better for space, don't take up nearly as much room when extended into digging position as the other types. I'm open to some opinions, my dad and I are tossing the idea of purchasing around because we're going to be getting into pond building as well so we need something that can dig as well as place rocks so we need a hyd. thumb put on there. Our dealer says he's got a guy that is going to be trading in an older hoe and getting a new one, I have no specifics on the piece, not even a brand, I'm assuming it's Cat, so we might pick that up if we can. It's either buying a used hoe or renting a small excavator. The problem with renting is that they never seem to have the piece we need and we like to get the ball rolling and not have to wait around. Also, buying a used excavator is out of the question, we wouldn't want to spend more on a used excavator than we could spend on new hoe for our Cat, less engine maintenance for me equals less headaches. Sorry for the long post, but I need some opinions. Let 'em rip! Thanks guys! Oh, and can anyone think of any other uses for a hoe that I could be missing for landscaping purposes? The more reasons I have the better the chances of talkin' the old man into buying one. Thanks!

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am surprised others haven't chimed in on this. IMHO The back hoe attachment is garbage. If you are using it for very light backhoe work or the occasional short water line it they work. If you are digging ponds I would not even consider it. Digging ponds requires 360 degree spoil placement especially in tight places. The Cat attachment has a major problem. You can't see what your digging below 3-4 feet. Sitting in the skid steer seat is a neat idea, but only if you can see what you are doing. Take the money and put it toward a mini X with a thumb you will never regret it. Also if you are serious about ponds will need to set rocks. You can't set rocks with a BH attachment. Plus you will need your skid steer to move the rocks around the job site requiring you to unhook the BH. Buy a mini X.

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

KSSS hit the main reason dead on. You can buy sit on backhoes that work fairly well with good dig depth, but what do you do with the dirt? I use a small backhoe tractor but would love a mini ex. That deal of taking the hoe off and putting the hoe on and so forth is time consuming and aggravating.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Good points. We will be saving up for the excavator and until then we'll just try to rent one. Rental here is tough because they never seem to have the piece you want all the time, kind of a bummer, but we will struggle through. Thanks!