Backing Truck up to Trailer by Yourself

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

So, the other day I had to disconnect my pickup from my trailer. It took me almost 15 minutes to get the ball lined up with the hitch when I was ready to reconnect. Is there some advice you guys have on getting the ball under the hitch when you are alone and don't have someone to guide you?

2. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

i judge generally until i feel like im close, than get out and check and than adjust and check until i got it..... after a few time you can kinda judge where it is and such

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ummm...HOW can it POSSIBLY take 15 mins to hook up your trailer:hammerhead: ? I can have a whole 'nother yard done in that time... All you gotta be is within a few inches, then you can kinda move the trailer enough to get it hooked up.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the time I will only have to get out of the truck once maybe twice. I can usually look in my mirrors and come within 2 inches of the ball.

5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I go by the jack of the trailer and line it up with the middle of the bed. I hook my trailer up everyday and i get lined up perfect every time maybe an inch back I have to go if not less. You will learn your vehicles distance you have back there after a little practice. Practice makes perfect just like everything else you do in live.

6. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I never get out to look anymore. Make sure you have equal amounts of trailer showing on each side of your truck and back slowly until you make contact.

hitch 001.jpg

hitch 002.jpg

7. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

i put a oragne flag right behing the hitch on the trailer mines metal and welded on but whatever you gotta do just get something in the center of the trailer behind the hitch then all they gotta do is back up to the trailer keeping the center of the tailgate (center is between the 2 bolts that the handle bolts 2 on the tailgate) and the flag

ive taught many guys how to back up to a trailer like this works great

8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

The trailer would not budge since I had it loaded with dirt.

9. xtrim

xtrim LawnSite Member

Install a camera on the back of your truck

10. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

ive never seen a guard like that looks like it would hit long b4 you jack knife