Backing up issues, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kc2006, May 1, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 6.5x10 trailer and this thing is a royal PITA to back up! I think its because of the length but I can not back it up, some times it steers like a normal trailer (reverse steering) and other times it goes the same way as you normally would go without a trailer! I drive a 18' car hauler all the time, no problem with that truck i can fly up a curving driveway no problem, and I used to drive a 7x16 trailer all the time with no problem either, this trailer is just wack though. Anyone else with a trailer thats 6.5x10 have problems like this? Trailer is going for sale as soon as I find another trailer. Just wanted to see if anyone else had troubles. And on a side note looking for a 6.5 or 7 x 14 and up trailer. Thanks
  2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I can back up most trailers at 30 mph...

Dont ever ask me to back up a lawn tractor with one of those little carts on it..............Ill be there all
  3. kc2006

Yea I really believe its the size of it, 8 foots are short enough that they can snap around with the slightest turn of the wheel but yet 12 foot is long enough to act like a bigger trailer, 10 foot is inbetween and wants to do its own thing. I think I can get 700-800 for it around here since its only a year old, and I'm going to talk to a local place to build me a 14 or 16 footer or if i can find a cheap enclosed I'd go that route.
  4. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I find it a lot harder to back up a single axle trailer then a tandem. The single axle reacts quicker and has turned before you know it. The easiest to back up is my triaxle.
  5. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I had a 6.5x10 and that was a pain to back up. I did find it easier to back up when I bought a new ball mount for my hitch that the shank was longer than my old ball mount. Even w/ the new mount it was still not as easy as backing up my 16 ft. I have now though.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a 6X10 trailer for about 4 years now and I must say I've gone pro backing up with this thing. No problems at all, it just comes down to practice and knowing exactly how the trailer will react to your steering movements.
  7. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing to consider is the wheel base of the vehicle you are using. I have a 6.5' x 12' and use to haul it with my Chevy Blazer. It was a pain backing up. Once I got my 1500 Extended Cab no problems at all really. The Blazer of course had a shorter wheel base than the 1/2 ton has which was the major problem. But I remember trying to back up our jet ski trailer and that sum b---- would drive me nuts because of the length of the trailer itself. Put our boat trailer or pontoon trailer behind me and it was just fine. Takes a little while to get use to but once you do no worries. Of course I have been doing this since I was 9 years old up at our cottage so I have had some practice.
  8. kc2006

I'm going to keep it around and get rid of it mid season I think. The whole situation adds to it, the street is real narrow so I don't have alot of room, the truck is a f250 and it has a horrible turning radius and I have to squeeze the trailer inbetween a tree and a car. I let my brother back it in yesterday so i didnt ram it into the tree from anger and he idled back with it and did fine, so i guess i have to go slower...I hate going slow.
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah, it's your short length. Any steering wheel adjustment will quickly transfer to to the trailer, allowing it to jacknife quickly. The shorter the distance from the axle to the pivot point (hitch), the quicker the reaction at the axle. Practice, practice, practice.

I always had to retrain myself every winter backing up the 10' snowmobile trailer. Like Procut said, I can back up my 18' trailer at about a 30mph clip.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My new 16' enclosed I can back up around 30 mph because it has a load lever/sway system on it. Its fun.

Little trailer are a pain to back up. The futher back the wheels are from the hitch the better they track when backing up.