1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backing up or turning for stripes on a ZTR ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, May 29, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

With my new ZTR Toro on my first cut I found it ripping up the lawn on a ZTR turn at the end of a line. I then tried to do like a "K" turn but I thought that defeated the whole idea of a ZTR tractor but it did less of the ripping up (burnout) at the end of the line needless to say I couldnt get nice stripes either. The ground was damp that morning , but after the dealer dropped off my new Toro at 8 a.m. that morning I just wanted to sample my new ZTR and start cutting.

Tips for the ameture here would help, how do I not rip up the grass ??? The wife was mad & laughing at the same time!!!
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on the grass conditions, most likely you will have to do 3 point turns all the time. This is why at all cost I will mow onto the driveway/ sidewalk to make my zero turns. The idea is if your turning to always keep both wheels moving a bit, and then reverse, and then you should be able to straighten out.

I've gotten very custom to making 3 point turns...and must say it is a better way to mow a lawn... less damage and it looks better.

About the striping....some grass doesn't stripe well. Otherwise get a kit if your mower can't do it on it's own.
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Blade. I K turn almost always. otherwise you will more than likely tear up the grass every time
  4. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

K turns ? I will give it a try, ZTR's will rip up the grass even with dry soil ?? My yard was moist from previous days rain ?? I'll have to try the 2 wheel in motion technique also ...:usflag:
  5. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

2000z ferris i fined myself doing 3 point turning a lot i have one lawn i can get away with but a lot of soft top soil. i have a heavy guy. Really the only zero turns i have been able to get away with is standers and walkers I also check my tires all the time and I keep my fuel tanks even as i can i have two five Gal tanks and switch them back and forth so the wait is a bit more even. you can have your hidro adjusted but thats not always the best way to go. take some time on some blacktop and just mess around and break her in get some work on the tires ALso remeber to do oil change after the first 5 hrs to clean out all the junk and run synthetic after that you can get about 500hrs on the oil but me i do it when sooner than that just me. some tips with lines and all make two passes on your boredder to get it well matted and then start your cutting the twice around is to help cut down on seeing the turning you do. for the lines. also i turn the same way that i did my outline so it's always going the same way. the stock blade sometimes don't give a good look i use gator blades http://www.gatorblade.com/ I like them a lot helped cut down on build up under the deck.
  6. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

and you wont tear turf. keep at it, you'll get better as time goes on. you will even be able to mow wet grass with ripping it up. start your inside wheel moving slightly backwards first then bring on the foward outside wheel. this way, while you are turning both wheels are moving and you will not tear the turf.
  7. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

All good knowledgable info here, 5 hour oil change is that common ? The second perimiter pass would be at the end of the full cut of the yard to neaten thjings up ??
  8. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

take a sharp turn(90 degrees) and then back up until you're back wheels are at your last line, then make that 90 degree turn again back up. thats what i do when its wet
  9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i cut the perimiter, cut the lawn to get my stripes, then make a final pass around the perimiter.