Backpack Blower Advice... and TY

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MajesticUSA, Mar 25, 2009.

1. MajesticUSA

MajesticUSA LawnSite Member

Hey all..

I want to start off by thanking all of you who unknowingly have helped me with solving my landscaping problems and guided my decisions on many things from equipment to different landscaping issues. It seemed almost every question I had this site/forum had an answer for. Well now I joined the site because I went from a handful of accounts to many more and I know I'll need help from people with more experience.

I'm starting my spring cleanups and need to decide on a backpack blower. The two blowers I'm trying to decide between are the Echo PB755 and the Shindaiwa EB802. I know the battle of ALL the blowers has been covered on here but I've already narrowed it down to the two that seem the best to me and the dealers that are the best in my area. I know all the "specs" on both and the Shindaiwa is "rated" higher, but 90% of landscapers in my region use echo. Does Shin have bloated specs? I went and tried both and they seem exactly the same except the Shindaiwa is smaller and less comfortable (I'm tall). So what I'm asking for is someone who's used both in battle and why one is better over the other as far as durability, reliability, power and comfort. Cost isn’t an issue because they are both 479$ till April 1st. Thanks a lot in advance

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Shin and the Stihl BR600. Both are great. The Stihl is usually my first choice. Its a beast! I don't know that much about Echo, but if the Shin is not comfortable, then your choice is the Echo.

Why is Stihl not an option?

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the Echo PB-755T and the Shindaiwa EB-802RT which I just bought.
    I will run the Shindaiwa tomorrow side by side the the Echo and let you know what I think about the power but I can already tell you that the Shindaiwa is much more confortable on the shoulders than the Echo.
    The Shindaiwa also has a bigger and more powerful engine so I expect it to blow more than the Echo.

4. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl is the way to go for me on everything. Sorry it was not in your top 2, but hey, opinions, there good for something.

5. MajesticUSA

MajesticUSA LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. I have the Stihl HT-131 extendable pole saw and it's extremely well built (bullet-proof) but all the rest of my saw equipment is husqvarna. I worked professionally for a tree service for many years and there's a big rivalry between stihl and husqvarna(sort of the chevy ford thing) between all the local tree companys but no matter what everyone had the stihl pole saws. When it comes to blowers though I used echo 755 blowers on wood chips and small sticks and they were the only one anyone used because of the power. But recently I heard alot of people are getting the Shindaiwa blower because of its "highest rated specs" thats why I asked about it. I will have to give the stihl br600 a shot though, is it a true 2 stroke or that 4mix engine like the pole saws?

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR-600 is a 4 mix and many (many) users had engine troubles with them.
    Most of these problems were linked to the valves and it seems that the type of oil used had a big impact on the severity of these troubles.
    Stihl quickly changed its recommended oil to the Stihl Ultra (synthetic) after many users blew up their engines.
    According to many, the new EB-802 has more power and is a 2 stroke engine.
    Claim that the BR-600 is quieter is just pure B.S. it is rated at 75 dB and only the Redmax is louder than that (77 dB for the EZB8001).
    The difference in noise perception comes from the lower frequency of the 4 stroke engine but the noise level is as high as any other big contender.
    I would not buy a BR-600 but would have a look at the new EB-8520 if I was on the market for a C4 mix blower

7. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not familiar with the posters top two picks but I do have an echo and I hate it. Hard to start and I have use both hands for control and it's way too weak for clean ups.

I also have a STHIL br 600 and it's just GREAT. starts even when it's -20 celcius out (i use it for light snow sometime). I can control it with one hand, throttle and tube and is VERY powerful for clean ups. Because I can control it with one hand I'm thinking of buying a hand held sthil blower for the other hand and use two blowers for clean ups this spring.

The only issue I have is the shape of the gas tank. It allows for the gas to slosh back and forth so when it gets about half full, it will bog down a bit. Gotta keep it full. I would buy another in a heart beat.

8. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

Well I would never buy a husbavarna chain saw again. What a piece of crap. I know I didn't buy the top of the line but it's still a half decent one but the chain kept popping off, would not stay on even though I had it tight. Finally the chain was stripped. It lasted about 5 hours.

9. CUTTINGEDGEPOCONOS

CUTTINGEDGEPOCONOS LawnSite Member

With out a doubt you should buy anyone of the STIHL blowers. The whole BR Series is great. Start with a BR400 and work your way up to a 600. You will be pleased. Make sure you let you STIHL dealer know you are a "Contractor" because they will generally knock about 5% off your bill. Good luck.

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have the 755, it's a beast. I compared it to the big Redmax and I liked the Echo better....after using both of them. I have no experience with Shindaiwa, but I have NEVER heard a bad thing about them.