Backpack Blower dying at an idle??!!?!?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DillonsLawnCare, May 19, 2008.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a husqvarna backpack blower. i had it all last season and then this year. and i use it at full throttle all the time. recently when im done blowing, it starts sputtering and it dies at an idle. i smell it kind of getting the overheating smell.

can anyone tell me whats going on.

im about to buy a redmax ebz7001.:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::cool2:
  2. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I have that same blower, that's all I used until I bought an EB7001. Now I have 2 of them and don't even touch the Husqvarna, it's a piece of junk, not made all that well and extremely weak. Just buy the RedMax and forget about it, you'll see a world of difference.
  3. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a valve to me! get a valve adj.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I thought most of the Husky blowers except 356BT are Redmax blower!!!! Double check that before you are so happy and go buy the EB7001!!! Maybe it is just a simple problem like plug, air or gas filter.

None of the Husky or Redmax have valves to adjust......Thank heaven!!!! If you get those with valves, then you'll find out what is the meaning of problem!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Change the spark plug.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Check to see what kind of adjustments you have on the Carb. IF you have a high, low needle screw, you can adjust that for your low idle running conditions. You might be getting too little/ too much fuel/air mixture at low idle.

Have you checked your air filter?

If it has the newer style two barrel carb, then good luck. There isn't much adjustment on those.
  7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Poor idle can be caused by air leaks in crankcase, carb not adjusted, poor spark or clogged spark arrestor screen.
  8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my backpac blower (its a home owner style) however i talked to a local small engine mech. and he told me to adjust the adjustment screws, low and behold it runs like a champ has good power and idles. He said that the screws are set to meet EPA standards from the factory anyway good luck.
  9. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

10. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

did all that. today it stopped during a job. luckily i only had 1 more to go. it turned back on......i think im just gunna go get a redmax!