1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

backpack blower (hair pulling choice)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Sep 23, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I almost had two eb630's (shindy) one was brand new and the other was used for maybe a week, anyways that did'nt pan out. So for the past month and a half I've been reading all threads regarding my decision.
    My three choices are
    3)stihl br600

As far as the shindy goes everyone says there not proven yet, but my main dealer and I have dicussed issues about if valves need adjusted and the such plus i can get one out the door for 482.68 with coupon I have. Oh yeah and I'm sorta of a shindy man......But the issues of valves and taking good many pulls to get up and of to the leaf wars.

Redmax seems like shindys equal and proven....but the price:cry: and the dealer I would have to get the redmax from is one i've only been to once.

Stihl seems like a good unit but it's not as powerful as the shindy or redmax.
    Yet its lighter and more comfortable than the other two.

Keep in mind this blower choice is going to be for the sole purpose of using it during leaf wars as I like to call leaf season.
  2. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I used a friends Br600 when I was working with his crew and
    makes my br340 seem like a toy.
  3. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

forget about the price. if you are really (in the buisness) then you need to have the best. i dont have a 600 but i would be scared of getting one because of the valve adjustment work. i just dont think its a good idea to buy something that you already know you are going to have to work on. i do have the other two though and even with the high speed tip on the eb8510 it still will not move a huge pile of leaves like the redmax will because it lowers the volume of air. with the normal pipes on the eb8510 it doesnt have the speed the redmax does. then if you trim the tip to be just a hair smaller or the same size as the redmax nozzle then it still isnt quite as powerful as the redmax. so on top of that they weigh about the same and the redmax you have 100 percent full power all the time. as opposed to the eb8510 not always running at full potential because of the valves slowly needing to be readjusted lowering performance over time. the 600 is lighter which is a fantastic thing but im just afraid of it though. I would get a redmax if your gonna just use it for leaves but if your gonna be using it for grass then i would just get the 600. besides, its got a 1 year warranty and if its junk then im sure you could sell it or use it for backup. sometimes i guess you just gotta take a chance and see what works. lifes full of chances anyway. redmax has a 2 year warranty though. and it is more powerful for leaves than the others.
  4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the input so far guys...would like to hear some more
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about that valve adjustment, I'm sure my 4-mix'rs need it but I haven't done it.
    Either way it's not that hard, need a 0.10 feeler gauge and some time, it's easy to get TDC on a 2-stroke, not like a car.

But really, get a 10hp pushblower and never be at war with leaves again.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have both the br600 and the 8000. the br600 is so much more user friendly that i take it usually and only use the 8000 for extreme cleanups.
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have about 400 hrs on my BR 600 with no valve adjustment running plain Echo oil in it and no problems. I'll adjust the valves before we get into leave season. Great machine. Only knock is 3-5 pulls to start first thing in the am and then we're good to go all day with 1 pull.
  8. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

hey bud!!!!:cool2: do you do it the same way on a eb8510?:confused:
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I think the valve adjust issues are a thing of the past. As ive researched on past threads, you can find negatives about any brand of any machine on here. I went with the BR600 because there were more good reports than bad and Im glad I did. Its a very user friendly blower and I intend to replace my Redmax and Shindy stuff with Stihl when they puke. I will say that my Shindy multi tool is far more reliable and better running than the Redmax.
  10. qwaller

qwaller LawnSite Member

I was between the Shin630, Red7001, and Stihl600. Was very confused on what to get. Looked at everything way too long on paper. Overthought everything. Finally today, I tried all three on my back. The 600 is in the garage tonight. For me, I finally boiled it down to comfort. The Stihl rode on my back better, was easier to point and shoot, very responsive power, and just overall felt better. I like the idea of probably more fuel efficient, definitely more CFM, and it being a Stihl is a good thing to me (kinda partial to their saws). I'll let you guys know how things go later down the road. Moral of the story, try them if you can and go with your gut. I ruled out the largest Kawasaki the other day on a test drive, felt awkward and lethargic.
    Good luck deciding.:)