Backpack blower intake screen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone here REMOVE the "screen" over the blower fan intake? On my Echo 603 the screen gets a few leaves stuck to it and the air flow is shot. I had to clean it off a dozen times or so today and it's irritating... I can just barely even get a couple fingers down to where the screen is due to it's location behind the fuel tank. There's really no way for anything on my body to get sucked into there if there was no screen, and without the screen the leaves that would have been stuck there just pass on thru the fan and out the tube.

Dosn't look like a fun modification to make tho, It would have to be cut and that would mean taking the whole blower apart to get to it... Still may be worth it tho. WHat do you guys think?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut them out as soon as i get home. never a problem
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Well, funny you should ask, while at my dealer today he said that if a leaf or some leaves got sucked in there, they would burn from the heat of the machine and if your impeller is plastic, it would melt it, so i don't think it would be a good idea to take it off but just relaying what i heard earlier.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, well i kinda figured that if the plastic impeller on my bg85 could handle sucking up leaves as a vaccuum then maybe the BP could handle a few once in a while passing thru the blower... I'm curious as to how a leaf could melt the plastic? I know you are just relaying what you heard... just seems a bit odd to me.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

here is what i think was meant, like if a leaf was in there and burned from the heat of the engine or something, and then gets on the impeller, then i guess that might melt it, but, i don't know, never had a BP blower! I have my little echo blower/vac and that has a plastic impeller too, so, now that you say that, seems odd to me too!
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

This last weekend, while a cronie was running my Stihl 420, some leaves got caught in that very area. Stihls do not have that screen, and the leaves sit between the housing and on the fan. Long story short-the machine over heated and the engine seized! These screens are here for a reason, I highly recomend leaving them in place.
  7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i sucked a velco strap though the impeller and it sheared a keyway off. it ripped all of the anti static line out of the tube. the br550 has a screen but when the shi t hit the fan. (pun intended) it goes.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree at not taking off the screen
  9. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

Yeah, screens are in place by the manufacturer for a reason. Your best not to modify them and I would not trust any dealer that would condone the modification. Echo has always had an issue with screens getting clogged, it seems as soon as they fix one issue another pops up, with that. Your best bet is to perform the proper maintenance to keep debris clear from all intakes and cooling fins.