1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Blower Opinions for the (Super) Homeowner

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by presidentsdad, Dec 12, 2007.

1. presidentsdad

presidentsdad LawnSite Member

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and cannot seem to find an answer to my burning questions regarding a backpack blower for home use.

I have a 1/2 acre lot with a LOT of hardwood trees. I would also be doing both my parent's and mother-in-law's yards (both ~1/2 acre with a lot of hard woods also). I have narrowed my choices down to the RedMax EBZ7001, EBZ8001 or the Stihl BR600. I want a powerful blower to get the leaves to the curb quickly. I want it to last at least 15 years (which shouldn't be a problem with any of these choices). I would also like it to be as maintenance free as possible (basically gas-'n-go).

I've heard horror stories regarding the Stihl BR600 and it's maintenance and overall lower quality. The posts on those stories seem to be over a year old. Has Stihl fixed the BR600 (4-mix) engine issues?

It seems that most folks on the forum like the RedMax. Regarding the Strato-Charged engines (the EBZ series) is the EBZ7001 going to be good enough for a homeowner? At my local dealer the BR600 and EBZ7001 are about the same price and the EBZ8001 is about $50 more. Is the EBZ8001 worth the extra $50 (keeping in mind the weight over the EBZ7001 and the BR600)?

So basically I have three 1/2 acre lots with a lot of leaves that I want to gather up as quick as I can. I want a powerful, low maintenance blower and see the value in spending the extra $$ for the good stuff so it'll basically last a lifetime. So...of these three which one would fit the bill?
  2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

If you can hold off for a couple more months Billy Goat will be introducing and new F601S for $669. It's a wheeled blower that weighs less than 80 pounds has about twice the performance of the backpacks you listed but is quieter, has a four stroke engine (no mixed gas) and you won't have to lug it on your back and it comes with the aim-n-shoot standard.

I used the prototype on my own yard (sloped 7/8 acre) versus the Red Max EBZ8000 (list $599). The tighter areas were better handled by the EBZ. However that time I made in the tighter areas was quickly lost and then some when I was trying to move the deeper leaves. When push came to shove the F601S could simply move things the EBZ8000 couldn't. Anything wet and over a foot deep left the back-pack gasping for air. This does not consider the back-pack noise, back strain from the weight and torque, and mixed gas difficulties some homeowners (myself included) have.

Let me know if you've got any othr questions I could answer for you.
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Force makes a good point that the backpack blower can handle the tighter areas better. It really comes down to preference on brands. You should decide what type of blower will best suit your needs, the terrain you will be using it on, backpack or walkbehind, and then go from there.
  4. presidentsdad

I'm really looking for a backpack blower becuase all of the yards will have pine islands or flower beds that I need to move around. The wheeled blowers would probably be to awkward for that task. Also, my nother-in-law's yards is very steeply sloped, so that would be another minus for the wheeled blowers.
  5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought an Echo PB-755 and I am happy with it.
    Like many have said before, it's a matter of which brand you prefer the best.
    Redmax, Stihl and Echo top of the lines have close performances at the end of the tube (no matter what some may say, they are in fact very close).
    Which ever you choose will serve you well :drinkup:
  6. presidentsdad

This is why I opened a new thread because no one was answering my questions on other threads. People just kept giving their opinions of their own machines.

For the folks that actually own the RedMax EBZ7001 or EBZ8001 or the Stihl BR600...

Has Stihl fixed the BR600 (4-mix) engine issues?

Regarding the Strato-Charged engines (the EBZ series) is the EBZ7001 going to be good enough for a homeowner?

Is the EBZ8001 worth the extra $50 (keeping in mind the weight over the EBZ7001 and the BR600)?

MOWPART_SCOTT LawnSite Member

Both of these blowers are great however the 8001 is about 5 lbs heavier than the 7001. they both rank in the same 77 dbs noise rating and they both have the strato engine. The 7001 and 8001 both come in 2 styles 7001/7001RH and 8001/8001RH. The RH stands for right hand. The trigger is on the blower tube and the 7001/8001 throttle is on the left and tube on the right. The 7001 has 64.0 engine cc and the 8001 has 71.9 cc. the EBZ7001 has 3.8 hp and the ebz 8001 has 4.4 hp. The EBZ 7001 has better air speed at 204mph as the 8001 has 201mph so your adding more waight and reducing the air speed with the 8001. Between the 2 My choice would be the 7001 for the home owner. I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions please email me at scott1@mowpart.com or just reply to this thread.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Another one to consider is the 7800 Tanaka! Also strato engine!
  9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I got a Stihl backpack blower (BR340) several years ago and have been very happy. Changed the plug and filter once since I got it. Has worked great for this homeowner.

I plan on upgrading the the BR600 once this one dies. Should be a long time though.
  10. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

I think the new Stihl bp's are ugly