Backpack blower prob?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Oct 8, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I have a Echo backpack blower that is only 2 years old. For some reason it is running really sluggish. It only stays running at hi speeds if I leave the choke half way on. Otherwise it just boggs way down if I take the choke off. I noticed over the past month I seemed to lose a lot of power also. So far, I cleaned the filter in the gas tank, I cleaned the air filter, replaced the spark plug, I took the carburator apart and cleaned all the seals and parts that seems to be yucky, and I cleaned the screen in the exaust port. Does anyone know what else I can check. I only cleaned the carburator so I dont know if I shouldve replaced anything or not. Thanks for your help.

Lasher

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Check your gas mix i might add a little more gas and see what that does.
    check to see if the screen behind the back padding is blocked by leaves or debris too.

3. lasher66

I did make sure my gas was mixed right. I have been using the same mixture for 3 years now and I have not had a prob. I also made sure that that screen wasnt blocked. I think it is a carberation prob, but I am not sure and I dont know a hole lot about them. Probably take it to the dealer tomarrow.Thanks for the info .

Lasher

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Well, if you have to leave the choke part way on, then you are not getting enough fuel. Are the low and high idle screws adjusted correctly? When you took the carburator (sp?) apart, did you clean out where the idle screws screw in?

It may be that the seals etc may look clean, but are still dirty. "Rebuild kits" aren't that expensive, and may solve your problem.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I agree... "IF", the machine runs up to speed with the choke partly on, it's a fuel problem and not a piston/ring/seal/exhaust problem..........However, it could be a crank seal sucking in air and running lean, but that's fairly rare...........
    Pete

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

was the space in the exhaust port free of carbon?

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take the gas filter off if it runs better replace it. for the carb get a can of carb cleaner and shoot it through all of the little holes ive never needed a rebuild kit the cleaner has always worked for me

8. lasher66

Thanks for the help, but after messing with it for two days I decided just to drop it off at the local dealer to fix it. Thanks again.
    Lasher