backpack blower question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harrydog, Aug 24, 2004.

1. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

What is preferred - the lefthand waist mount throttle control or the blower tube throttle control?
    I'm buying a Redmax 7001 and really don't know which one to get. I assume it's just a matter of personal preference, but is one more popular than the other?

2. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

Harry,
    It is mostly a matter of personal preference however there is two factors to consider (quick story). I have been a dirt jockey for about 10 years. Every company I worked for in the past always used echo blowers so when it was time to buy one for my own business that's what I went looking for. The first blower I bought was an echo with the tube throttle and I loved it. Two years ago I was in the market for another blower but everyone in my area told me to go with a redmax. At the time none of the dealers in my area had one with the throttle on the tube so I was forced to get the hip mount version. Here's what I found:

1. Redmax has a nice feeling and very sturdy hip mount setup but for some reason the control will actually shock you when using it in wet weather if you keep your fingers on the throttle lever(poor ground design). I thought it was just my machine doing this but I have been told by many that theirs does the same.

2. I had both echo and redmax dealers tell me that the reason you see more hip mounts is because the tube mounts kept getting hung up on things and the throttle cables were getting damaged. Especially when working in tight areas like in bushes and such.

Now personally, I never damaged a cable by getting hung up on something HOWEVER I will admit I DID get hung up in the bushes when doing cleanups with the tube mounted throttle. But I like the throttle on the tube and still just haven't gotten used to the hip mount on my redmax. In fact I might sell my redmax to a guy I work with and get a tube mount setup.

My suggestion to you would be to demo both styles because YOU need to feel comfortable with it not the dealer or anyone else.

Peace
    J.P.

3. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thanks J.P. Great answer.
    I was thinking that the tube mount seemed like the best way to go but you bring up a good point about it hung up on things.
    How do you like your Redmax other than the throttle location and the grounding problem?

4. j.p.landscaping

Harry,
    I'm the wrong person to ask....lol
    You see like I said before I was a die hard echo blower fan. It's funny because I think all their other stuff sucks but I always liked their blowers. All my buddies around here got on the redmax band wagon and told me to go with redmax. Well I did. I got a 7001 about a year and a half ago. Besides getting zapped in wet weather and not getting used to the hip throttle mine goes on these fits every once and a while where I'll be blowing and it cuts out like someone is tapping the ground shutoff. It does'nt shut off but dies for a split second at a time. I cant find the problem and it works itself out after a while but it drives me crazy. My problem is that I am a die hard echo blower fan and every little thing that goes wrong with my redmax puts another nail in the coffin with me ever buying another one of their products. Another reason I tried the redmax is because all my echo dealers switched to redmax when echo started selling to home depot. Now I know a ton of guys that swear by redmax but they just haven't impressed me yet. I'm going to demo their new 8000 series blower but in the end I think I'll be getting a echo 750 tube mount throttle this fall.

Peace
    J.P.

5. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I was also considering the Echo 751. My Dad had an Echo back pack blower when I was a kid. He bought it back in the '70's. It ran great and lasted for many, many years of hard use. Another good friend of mine also has an Echo and is very happy with it.
    So naturally I figured I'd buy an Echo, but when I started reading all the opinions of the pros on some of the lawncare forums, it seemed like Redmax was the more popular choice. Your experience proves that no brand is perfect. I just don't want to make the wrong choice when spending $500 on a blower.

6. j.p.landscaping

Harry,
    I got 3 words for ya

DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!!

Try them both. Another important factor to consider is dealer backing. Which dealer is going to treat you the best when it comes time to fix, tune-up or buy another piece of equipment. You can buy the best piece of equipment on the market and it wont mean crap the day it breaks and your dealer blows you off. I'd rather buy junk and have a dealer that will hook me up than spend big $$$ and get no service.

7. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Yep...I really do need to demo.
    Thanks again!