Backpack blower recommendation?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by heebsk, May 6, 2005.

1. heebsk

heebsk LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some advice on which blower I should go with for my residence only. I've read many threads and it seems that RedMax is usually regarded as the best. I've got a 2/3 acre lot, with a ton of mature trees, so I'll be doing a lot of leaf moving. I will plan on just trying to blow them all back into the woods and avoid picking up that rake if possible. The blower needs to be able to move those leaf piles. I plan on being at this house (unless my wife leaves me for spending too much $$$ on power equipment) for at least 15-20 years, so I want something that will last. I am ok spending the money on a quality product that will last me, but I won't be needing the blower for daily use to do other yards besides mine. My local dealer was recommending the ECHO PB-403 for around $300, but would I be better off going with a RedMax 7001 for around $400 or is that just overkill? I'd like to stay under $400, but I don't want something that I'll end up being disappointed with when fall rolls around because I'm spending hours every weekend blowing leaves. Thanks.
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Go with the more powerful blower since it sounds like you will be moving a lot of leaves. When comparing blowers, I always go by cfm (cubic feet per minute), or volume. Speed, or mph, is far less important. Even with a big backpack, you may have trouble moving "piles" of leaves. That is where rolling blowers come in. They usually are better at moving piles. Definitely get a backpack, and possibly rent a rolling blower for a day if you have trouble with big piles.

Have fun with your new toy!

(oh, I mean essential lawn maintenance equipment... )
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

From what Ive read here Redmax is the best. However, there are no dealers in my area and I use a Echo 650BP and it moves lots of leaves with no problem.
  4. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Redmax EB7001 and it works awesome. I did alot of research and spec comparisons and felt that a used 7001 was the best value. I didn't have alot of field testing as I replaced a handheld Crapsman.
  5. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

click on the link for Landscapers Supply on the main page, they are a Redmax dealer. They were super nice and beat everyone's prices. I bought the 8000 and it is awesome.
  6. heebsk

heebsk LawnSite Member

Did you shop online at their site, or did you call them directly? I looked at their online store and it only listed some kawasaki equipment.
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Like said, if you're moving a lot of leaves then you will want that extra power.
  8. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I called about the Redmax 8000 today, Saturday (they close at noon on Sat--Central Standard time zone) and they said to call and speak to Travis, the internet sales go-to-person. They said to call instead of emailing him...The other manager I spoke with said they do carry the Redmax 8000...I have the Stihl BR 550 and tried to justify my buying decision (see my post through search)...I tried to blow some pine cones and weeds that I pulled yesterday and it could barely do that without taking forever...Stihl is giving my money back on the machine today and I will probably go with the Redmax 8000--I spent 411 with tax on the Stihl but even if I spent an extra 200 on the Redmax it would be worth it...I demoed the Redmax 8000 and when you hit it at high throttle it twists your body and you have to lean into it as you is almost like having a rolling blower on you back (well, not really--those have 10 hp plus)...but, man o man does the 8000 kick butt...Sorry for my inconsistencies with the blower, but you all were right about the BR 550--underpowered 4-mix nonsense...maybe the 600 will be better, but I ain't hold'n my breath...
  9. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

I called and spoke with Travis when i bought mine, super nice guy. Have the lowest prices i found.