Backpack blower recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walds11, Jan 27, 2006.

1. walds11

walds11 LawnSite Member

Hello all, I posted a topic before about blowers, but I think I narrowed down my choices.

I was recommended Echo blowers by people here on the forum and they fit in my budget of $200-300. I stopped in the local Echo dealer yesterday. I looked at the PB-260L ($269, maybe a little better price at another dealer) and PB-403 ($299), which are both backpack blowers. Not sure if I am allowed to post links, but here are the specs (page 6)...

http://www.echo-usa.com/documents/powerblower.pdf

They sales person was not the biggest help, but he leaned towards recommending the 403 since it was not much more $ than the 206L and it has a bigger motor and more blowing "juice." I strapped both of them on and the 403 felt very bulky and heavy. The 260L felt very comfortable. It seems like a no brainer to pay $30 more and get the 403, but as a homeowner, do I really need that big of a blower to blow leaves? I have almost a 1/2 acre lot and a good bit of beds, but the property does not get hammered thick with leaves. I am leaning towards the 260L because it is very light and has as much more juice then my electric blower and probably more juice tehn many handheld gas blowers. Help, any feedback or suggestions? What about the Echo Shred N Vacs?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go for whichever one you're most comfortable with. it doesnt need to be the biggest meanest or most powerful unit on the shelves just to do what you need.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Lawn Masters, get whichever one you are the most comfortable with. It really does no good to have a very powerful backpack blower if all it's going to do is sit in the shed/garage because you can't stand to use it.

4. walds11

walds11 LawnSite Member

So, do you think the specs of the PB260L will cut it for my property with moderate to moderately heavy leaf clean-up?

335 cfm at the pipe, 460 cfm at housing and 156 max air speed.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, the PB260 backpack model is the same as the handheld model of that unit, only on your back. if you can, get a demo of each unit, and see which will do better.

6. walds11

walds11 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. The 260L appears to have a little more juice than the handheld blowers. I think testing out demos is key. I'll try and do that. Anyway, the 260L is better that than any electric blower that I have used in the past.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Lawn Masters, you are correct, the pb260 is the exact same engine and housing as the handheld of that unit.

IMO, I would go with the pb403, as you have a much larger engine. For the homeowner, that is my recommendation. The pb260 really does not appear to have the power necessary to make a leaf cleanup easy. If I can strap a redmax8000 to my back for 1 hour straight, you shouldnt have a problem with the pb403 :waving:

8. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

The 260 is what my wife uses it is lite and easy to start but not much in heavy leaves, does fine on sidewalks with grass/leaves. This would not be for heavy cleanup.:confused: :confused:

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have this blower -its a wimp

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Agreed!.... to a point. But you need something that will make your life easier when using it day after day. When I went to a Echo b/p blower (a PB 651H) it was like night and day compared to some of the other blowers I have used in the past. This thing will blow softball sized stones around. This is their top of the line b/p blower but I bought it knowing I'm not going to over working the heck out of it every day. I use it most of the time at half throttle because its too powerfull at full speed for most of the work that its used for. I paid a little more for it but IMO its money well spent. The power is going to be there when I need it.