Backpack blower recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikegyver, Mar 30, 2012.

1. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

What are the modifications for the Shindiawa?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

They are mostly exhaust mods. There is a guy who posts here sometimes that is kind of an expert on modding 2 strokes. IIRC, he removes the tailpipe and opens up the exhaust port holes to let it breath better.

Here is a link to his YouTube channel, and the 802. If you look in the right hand column, you'll see more vids on the 802 by him-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uwSWWemAI&feature=relmfu

3. DFLS

Thanks....

I just bought an 802 and my BR600 is just slightly more powerful. opening exhaust ports to let the air flow seems logical.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I think you might be confused here little buddy, the br600 is half as strong as an 802 maybe 1/3 as strong. I am going to go on recond and say the br600 is the weakest blower on the market.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I suppose you could make any of them breath easier and they'd all perform better, but it seems like the two strokes respong better to it, and they are easier to make peppier.

The guy in the link is good at doing it. He has some great video clips of before and after work on quite afew machines, especially chainsaws.

There are some threads here about the same modifications to the 802 in which blsnelling posts some info. Maybe you can find them in search mode.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Ah, come on man. If you don't like Stihl 600's, fine by me, but that's just flat out BS, and I'm calling you on it. I have ran all the latest big BP's on wet heavy leaves and the 600 will hold it's own with any of them. It may not be the most powerful, but it hangs in there pretty good, and does better than some of them stock. It does so with far less fuel, noise, and weight to boot. I ain't being brand loyal, because as I've already stated here and elsewhere on LS, I prefer my Husky 570 to anything else made right now, but my BR600M is a great blower, and way more powerful than you are trying to make it out to be.

7. DFLS

Side by side seems the br600 loosens more leaves stuck on the ground.

I'll have to try blowing the brick on the driveway tomorrow....

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Did you get both the wide and narrow nozzles for your 802? If so, amke sure you use the narrow tip nozzle for getting the stuck down crap loose. The fact that you can switch the nozzles so easily on the 802 is what makes it such a great blower IMO. The wide tip is better for moving large piles of leaves.

9. DFLS

My new shindy is heavier on my shoulders and sucks up more gas than the BR600.

One of my 600's died last week. I bought the Shindy to replace it. Dealer said it would blow away the BR600. (he sells both). Now I find it is just enough heavier than the Stihl to bother my shoulders after a couple hours, and really isn't any more powerful. Louder too. Going to be even louder when I do the exhaust mod. Does he just take the restrictive plate out and the screen out? Hard to tell in the video.

I did pick up a short block for my dead BR600 that transplant will happen next rainy day.

10. DFLS

Yes using narrowed nozzle...