1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Blower throttle controls

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by uphelpsr, Apr 20, 2010.

1. uphelpsr

uphelpsr LawnSite Member

appreciate the feedback. I will certainly pass on to the Product Manager.
  2. twobroslawns

twobroslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The gas cap is great when its new, but when it gets used it fills up with crud and doesn't work right. I have a few suggestions:

This one is a little weird but you should make a 'bubble' in the top of the gas tanks on the blowers so that if you fill the gas almost to the brim it just displaces into the bubble instead of coming out of the tank.

On some of the stuff (BG86 especially) the black plastic stuff is bad. The spark plug boot always gets filthy and makes the rest of the machine look bad. You should make it a different, less sticky material. Also the handle has a little bit of the same problem.

Once again, the recoil starter on my bg86 get a little in the way as you walk. holding the blower with your right arm straight down, every step you hit the pull handle and it shakes around. Now on the housing of my blower there is a circular line etched into the plastic where this rubs up against it so much.

thats it for now....
  3. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

The #1 complaint about your 4-Mix products is that gas cap.
    The guys on the board here hate it with a burning passion.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i like the tube throttle so that i have a free hand
  5. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on the gas cap issue, I hate them with a passion. Already replaced one on my BR-550 and its only 2 maybe 2 1/2 years old.
  6. carguyrob

carguyrob LawnSite Member

I like the tube throttle too, the hip ones don't feel right to me, harder to get on in a hurry and no free hands.
  7. ancjr

ancjr Banned
    from Indiana

Didn't mind the Stihl gas cap until mine started to act up this season. Requires too much force to install/remove now.
  8. Dan85

Dan85 LawnSite Member

It's really nice to have a STIHL rep on here asking for our feedback! With that said, I prefer tube controls over hip. We have several Stihl backpack blowers and a Shinadaiwa with hip controls, definitely prefer the tube controls over the hip.

The gas caps can be annoying, fortunately I have only had an issue with one on our saw and a replacement one solved the problem.

- Dan
  9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

hip controls
  10. biggiej42

biggiej42 LawnSite Member
    from NY

tube controls! Love my BR500!