Backpack Blower throttle controls

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by uphelpsr, Apr 20, 2010.

1. uphelpsr

uphelpsr LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input. The overwhelming feedback is that tube control is the way to go, which just goes to show that the R&D guys are earning their pay!

Some changes to the caps on newer models have already been made and we continue to look to find ways to improve its performance.

2. ancjr

ancjr Banned
    from Indiana

Great to hear! Will there be new caps to retrofit onto the older models?

3. twobroslawns

twobroslawns LawnSite Senior Member

They should be free as a recall

4. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

funny, im in the northeast, RI actually and almost everyone around here runs redmax with hip controls.

5. uphelpsr

uphelpsr LawnSite Member

Mikes, any insight as to why the hip controls are preferred by these folks?

6. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

Honestly I cannot speak for the majority. If I had to take an educated guess I'd say its because of dealer support. I wouldn't even know where to go to pick up stihl. No offense. Redmax seems to be everywhere, and a lot of guys around here use walkers and wrights. The dealer that services those two machines happens to service redmax. Makes life a little easier one stop shopping. The only time I've used tube controls was on a home cheapo echo,, and I think that just turned me off. I like to use me left hand to set the throttle then I have that hand free. Hope that helps a little
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. uphelpsr

uphelpsr LawnSite Member

No offense taken. We are completely behind the value of the dealer to the professional user. That's why we only sell through them

Appreciate the open and frank feedback.

8. dhnorf

dhnorf LawnSite Member

I just lost a BR320 due to the fiberglass material that the handle is made out of breaking and falling off my trailer while traveling on the highway. maybe a different composit material that does not get brittle from the sun should be used. It was an older blower maybe they have changed the material already.

9. uphelpsr

uphelpsr LawnSite Member

dhnorf: I will pass this on to our product managers. Thanks

10. ancjr

ancjr Banned
    from Indiana

I'll admit to not owning a backpack blower. I do intend to get the BR600 before fall, and do prefer the tube controls.