Backpack blower throttle question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chickie- Weed, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Chickie- Weed

Chickie- Weed LawnSite Member

Hi everyone.. not sure if this is where I should post this...?? but I am wondering if anyone can help me with this question.. I am looking to buy the Redmax EBZ8000.. and have been asked do I want the right hand tube mount throttle .. or the left hand side hip mount throttle...?? any preference ..?? what makes one any better than the other ...??? thanks for any input..!!

2. Chickie- Weed

Chickie- Weed LawnSite Member

Was hoping for a little input.. ???anybody....???

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's all a matter of preference. For us, we all seem to like the tube/trigger mount better. I ran the hip mount for years (all that was available for several years). When I got the first trigger mount, I saw where it had its advantages. That is all we have been running since then. One example is when you are cleaning out shrubbery or something. You have a free hand to grab branches or limbs, or hold a rake or something. You then have the control to drop the throttle like to dig stuff out of tight corners at lower speeds without blowing all that stuff back up in your face. You just have total control. Anyone with a hip mount will always say "Yeah, but all you have to do is reach and turn your throttle down and it stays."
    well, yes it does, but it does with the trigger mount, also. The difference is, is one takes one hand to operate, and the other takes two. As far as the throttle staying wherever you want it, the trigger mounts have cruise control, as well. I just REALLY prefer the tube mount.

4. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

I've always liked the tube mounted trigger throttle. It lets you control the power and leaves your left hand free to pick up a twig or stick or something you missed earlier.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the hip-mounted throttle controls on my EBZ8000. I prefer it because the throttle is more likely to get damaged if it's mounted on the tube. The hip mounted model can be positioned at a few different hights and can be folded up when not in use. The hip mount also has a throttle not a trigger so it doesnt' have to always be held, just adjust the throttle to the speed you need and leave it so you can still pick up debris and blow at the same time. One thing that may affect which one to purchase is if your right or left handed and what might be more comfortable.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Tube is the way to go. Tube used to be all you could get, then landscapers wanted them to make a hip mounted because the tube always broke (ive never broken mine). Once that came out they all realized what a pain the 2 handed operation was. My dealer sells 99% tube mounted throttles. In the end its personal opinion but my vote goes to tube.

Cheers
    Jeff

7. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I have a hip mounted throttle on my Redmax 7001 and i like it. Just remember to fold it up when you put it on the trailer. What are you going to be doing with your other hand? Picking your nose? lol:dizzy:

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Tube mounted all the way. 1 hand vs. 2 is easy productivity math. I'm not sure how you could possibly break a tube mounted throttle easier than you could rip that whole contraption off the left side, especially when hanging it on the trailer rack.

9. buckrufr

buckrufr LawnSite Member

I have REdmax 7000 w/ hip throttle which I prefer over tube. I've used both types.

Buck

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i hate the tube throttle, i bought a new shini eb630 with one and it just felt weird, hated it, strangly enough someone stole it off my trailer, so i went and bought the new shini eb8510 with the hip mount and will never go back.