Backpack blower/vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape25, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Does anyone know if a backpack blower/leaf vacuum exists. I have looked around on the internet and it seems they are all handhelds. I don't offer lawn services but was thinking I might start offering hedge trimming of hedges that require an actual hedge trimmer (hand pruning now, hardly effecient for ficus). This is my thought: trim the hedge, rake up the worst of it and vacuum the leaves left in the grass. Also I thought a vacuum might be helpful to clean up rock beds. I am not sure if this would take the rocks with the debris though, especially with small rocks.
  2. Landscape25

from Florida

Never mind it doesn't exist.
  3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

If you look at Echos older PB4600, I see in the parts list an accessory kit to convert it to a vac unit. I havent tried it on mine, but am tempted.
  4. Landscape25

from Florida

Thanks Lawn Masters. I actually don't have any gas powered equipment right now for my business. I'll have to see if you can still buy that model and of course the cost. I am in a low budget phase, may even go with a hand held home model. I am not sure where Hudson is but no need to be lugging heavy equipment around in the summer here if at all avoidable.
  5. Landscape25

from Florida

Found the Echo PB 6000 that has a vac attachment but was $1,314.00.
    I don't think I will be doing that many hedges any time soon to justify that plus it probably has to much power.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I'm embarrassed to say I have used the Black and Decker bush hog electric unit, :blush: and it works ok for about 2-3 months only 60-70 bucks if you have the balls you can keep returning them and getting new under warranty. Or just consider it a bic lighter, use it up and throw it away. We now use the Stihl hand held blower vac and it is exclusively used for vacuuming. Great for bougainvillea pedals and light leaves.
  7. Landscape25

from Florida

Well, could have done without the language but I may go with a handheld. Do you use the Stihl on small rock (more like pebble) beds without it disturbing the rocks. I don't want to have to plug something in on a clients property. Why be embarrassed? Why spend a ton of money when all you need is a home model. Sounds like I will need it less than you at this point. I think there is to much emphasis put on commercial equipment. If that is what you need that is one thing but to have it just to say you have it means less money in the bank.
  8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i only do residential work, and i use electric hedge trimmers, dont have enough demand to go out and buy a gas unit, hopefully this summer will bring that demand.
  9. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Worry about disturbing rocks?? These vacuums barely disturb leaves! I have a stihl hand vacuum that is a joke.
    I wouldnt worry about the echo having too much power,

There simply are no strong and portable vacuums for use in the lawn industry being produced.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

To my knowledge they don't make a "commercial" blower/vac unit. However, if they did, I'd recommend commercial any day over any piece of homeowner equipment, having ample experience with both. I understand the part about not buying more than you need. . .BUT its sooo worth it when it comes to efficiency, productivity, and ergonomics (a big injury reducer if you are going to be using a piece of equipment for more than a few minutes). Buy commercial if for no other reason than to spend less time baking in the sun while earning more loot in much less time. . .