Backpack Blower? Which one is best for the $$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cutworm, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Cutworm

Cutworm LawnSite Member

Is Kawasaki a good brand. I made the mistake of buying a lower end blower that's top speed is 155 MPH. Needless to say it costs me much time. Help me out here people. :blob3:

2. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

You only need to know two words--RED MAX.

3. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

you got that right REDMAX, 8000 or 7001. Blows all the rest away

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

the echo 750 is an nice unit as well

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Redmax 7000, 7001 and 8000. Best all around for the money is probably the 7001. 8000 is awesome, but it will be for leaf season only. 7001 is perfect for both.

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

My RedMax 8000 blows a Brick across the parking lot...really!!!

7. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have Echo Blowers. I believe the PB 602 model - Works well for just about everything.

I don't have the Echo PB 751; but I understand it is quite good.

Everything I have read about Red Max leads me to believe I will be buying one next, especially for Fall Clean Ups!

Recommend trying them out first hand!

! :waving:

8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Side by side the echo 651 blew the RM 7000 away.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

RedMax 8000...Most Powerful..

Echo 750 Very Close Second...More Powerful than the RedMax7001.

Stihl 400 series...Toys.

redmax8000.jpg

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have never used Red Max blowers so will not comment, however i hear the RedMax EBZ8000 is awesome, and hear the same about the EB7001 as well. I have a (new this year :) ) Echo PB650 and I will say it is awesome. It is the same as the Echo PB750 except the 750 has a larger air filter and larger shoulder straps. It is also a little bit heavier, somewhere around a pound or so if i remember right. It has the same power as a 650. I didn't see the need for a bigger air filter, i have a Kawasaki KRB400A blower also, and it's been great on reliability. it is quiet and it's always been there for me. I'd recommend Kawi anyday as I have a few other Kawasaki engines and have had others as well, only ever had great luck with them. Kawasaki makes a KRB700 blower that is more powerful but I am not sure how it stacks up against my Echo. I went with the Echo due to local dealers and availability. I don't have time to drive to another town for parts or service if needed, and here we mainly only have Echo and Stihl. Stihl makes some good stuff but as stated, their blowers are toys IMHO. I love the Echo even for regular mowing jobs it blows the Kaw away (Kaw is 46cc, Echo 63cc) and for leaves, it is no less of a dramatic difference! it's awesome. I would say it's as powerful as my 5hp Billy Goat push blower even! thats pretty awesome. If the RedMax EB8000 is as good as they say i am sure i'll be looking at one for this time next year for leaves.

what you really need to look at with blowers is not the MPH of air, but the CFMs (Cubic Feet Per Minute). That is what it takes to blow debris, not speed. Take caution: CFM's are measured both at the blower housing and at the end of the tube. Make sure you compare similar numbers, preferably at the end of the tube. thats where the action is, not at the housing (you wouldn't use it without tubes would you?). Compare similar size engine units (they are in classes like 46cc, 63cc, and so on, the new Redmax EB8000 is 73cc i beleive) and then compare similar size engine units' air powers in both MPH and CFM at the tube. Thats a true comparison. Get one that you like and that is comfortable to operate all day. Some friends got a new Shindaiwa 630 (same power as my Echo 650 and supposedly same engine as RedMax EB7000/7001) but their straps are way too long and not padded well. The straps you can't tighten enough to keep the blower on your back right. Their blower hangs from their back really sloppy and at an angle. Just a really poor strap setup. I don't understand that. The machine itself seems fine but they already had to replace the flex tube out of the blower housing as it cracked and chunks came out. Personally i'm not impressed with thier experience of it although i love Shindaiwa stuff. I am just saying i'd expect better than that from a machine.

But yeah, check them all out carefully before buying. Get the biggest even if it means spending more money, it's definately worth it. I almost bought the Echo PB603? blower but decided extra $50 or so is worth it for more power. I think my 650 has kinda got more powerful after the initial break-in maybe. Not sure on that. but, it is sweet, if i need another blower i would buy another 650 in a heartbeat.