backpack blower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, Feb 26, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I will be purchasing a blower. I had a poulan and was not real satisfied. I believe a backpack blower would best suit my needs for leaves, clearing blacktop, etc. I need input as to the how big and what kind to purchase, as the choices seem overwelming. Also, is power the general reason people prefer backpack over hand held? I want a quality blower that will last. All comments appreciated.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yes. They just can't fit that kind of power into a handheld sized blower.

To better answer your question about which one would be good for you, it would help to know how much you want to spend?

We could easily suggest one of the biggest, best models on the market, but that may be way more then you were looking to spend. The price ranges are pretty big.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Can't EVER go wrong with the biggest, best. Redmax 7001. Around $450.00 or so, and WELL worth every penny. Do yourself a favor, get the best, be done with it. It will likely be the only blower you will ever need, lasting you a lifetime of homeowner use, then some.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can ALSO go Echo PB750 For about 450. You might not need a push blower and you will be amazed at how clean the bushes are underneath in leaf season. Both are GREAT blowers!!
    John

5. ElephantNest

from La.

True, both will blow your socks off. Just get one with the best dealer support out of the two.

6. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I had hoped to get a quality blower for around $250 but it sounds like I should spring for the top of the line and spend a couple more. Do Echo and Redmax set the standards? Others to consider?

7. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Shindawia EB 630 is a good blower. But if your just using it for your home a cheaper model with less power will most likely do the job for you. You will still get the dependabilty of a good name brand. If you have got the money to spend you can never go wrong with top of the line though.
    Most of the backpack blowers are more powerful than the hand helds, and for fall when you have to use sometimes for an hour or two or three it is much easier to have it on your back than hold in your hand.

8. ElephantNest

from La.

Look on ebay, sometimes you can find new blowers for good prices. I'd stick with redmax, shindaiwa, or, if echo, the 650 or 750.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

The Stihl is a good blower as well. Funny it has not been mentioned yet.