backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turftammer, Jun 12, 2004.

1. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I currently use shindaiwa blowers but I try to have a backup for all my equipment and have seen a homelite backpack blower at homedepot for about $170 and thought it would probably work to get me out of a bind and I know not to expect alot out of a $170 blower but would like to know anybodys experience with them or just your opinion
  2. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

i've got one and what a waste of money. my little hand held weedeater blower has more power than this. i wouldn't ake one if they were free.
  3. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

I run a stihl for my business, but I bought one of the homelite's for my personal yard (got tired of taking a backpack home every friday night). Well on the first use of the Homelite it broke. Took it back and I will never buy another thing at home depot.
  4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you are only going to use it for a backup, I dont see a problem with it. You might be able to luck up on a used commercial b/p blower on Ebay for not much more money. Just a thought.
  5. minerapex

minerapex LawnSite Member

I would just buy a red max 7001. Once you get that you won't need to think of having a back up. they work wonders.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Those homelites are 170 at home depot, or 99 at Harbor Freight and tools.

I used those for the first 3 years of being in business, they were alright, but invest in a good blower, you wont be dissapointed.

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Just get a little hand-held if your only going to use i to get you out of trouble. It work for you for the little time you will need it.
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Backups always seem to find their way to being frontline equipment. If you like Shindawa, stick with it.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That is so true. I have done that myself. I have seen alot of people do that. I know one guy who bought a mower to do his own lawn so he wouldn't feel like he was at work, while cutting his grass. Now its bouncing around on a trailer with 3 other mowers 5 days a week.
  10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member