1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

backpack blowers vs hand held

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevy1tondualyjd, Apr 5, 2004.

1. chevy1tondualyjd

chevy1tondualyjd LawnSite Member
    from Maine

we've always used hand held leaf blowers. and was wondering what are the advantages of a back pack blowers compared with a hand held one
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Much much much more powerful. You must try one to really apprieciate the work it saves you. They are also more comfortable being that the weight is not hanging off your arm.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what handheld your comparing to what backback. I have a Redmax EB7000 and it puts out more air than 2 Redmax handhelds. More airflow means less time spent cleaning up. If your thinking about buying a backpack, I suggest saving till you can afford a Redmax EB7000 or an Echo PB750
  4. SpikeMan1021

SpikeMan1021 LawnSite Member

Back packs are by far a much better choice. The amount of power that back packs offer will defiantly come in handy. They save a lot of time and there more reliable. The price for back packs is much higher but its worth it.
  5. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have the redmax eb7001 and a echo handheld, there is A HUGE DIFFERENCE. the redmax would blow the echo down the block, but the echo is great to grab start and blow sidewalks off and patios after cuts, the redmax is awesome for cleanups both have there advantages, sometimes it's just easier to grab the handheld for a quick blow off.
  6. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I agree with Rookiemower. On a hot day, the handheld is great if you just want to blow off a small driveway or a walkway. It is no fun putting on a backpack for a two second job when you are all hot and sweaty. They both serve their purposes really well.
  7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I don't own a backpack blower at the moment but will most likely be interested in one in the fall. I DO need a blower now though just for blowing off driveways and sidewalks. My question to backpack owners is.... can you pick up your backpack and hold it somewhat like a handheld (engine in one hand, blower tube in the other) or would it be too difficult/cumbersome to do?

I wouldn't have anything against getting a backpack model right now if I could use it like a handheld for the drives and walks, but if you HAVE to put it on in order to use it then it'd be a pain if you're only gonna have it running for 20 seconds.
  8. if i had to choose just one type...backpack...more power ...comes in handy for cleaning leaves and twiggs stuck in scrubbs and bushs....and after a rain blowing grass off a wet drive or sidewalk with a handheld is useless... the backpacks power comes in handy in for that situation
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo pb603 which works well for me. I just bought an Echo 210 handheld ( I believe it's the strongest handheld Echo makes) that I thought I would use more often, but I still grab my b/p first. I've used the handheld maybe 3 or 4 times. No real comparision in power between the two. I've thought about putting it on ebay and buying another b/p for a backup blower. It's only about a month old.
  10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

TJLC, The Echo PB-230LN is the strongest they offer but, it's not much different than your 210.

Echo PB-210 21.2cc 350cfm &150mph airforce

Echo PB230-LN 22.8cc 365cfm &160mph