1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack blowers vs. Handheld

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pastaboy62, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone tell me the difference between a hand held and a backpack blower. Every landscaper I see has a backpack blower, is there a difference in control? Also, Ive been hearing things about backpacks blowing up, like a big explosion. Whats the deal with that?
  2. pgoulding

pgoulding LawnSite Member

Backpack blowers are for the most part a lot more powerful than handheld ones (you can buy ones with small engines but why bother) and are a life saver when it comes to leaves and long driveways that have to be cleared of grass. (more power = less time = more payup) If all your doing is mowing lawns and there are no real long driveways than you can save your money and buy a handheld, because they take much less time to get out start and put away. With the backpack ones being on your back you can go for hours straight using it with little stress where your arm would be dead if you used a handheld for that long. I have never heard of a backpack blower blowing up, and i hope mine never does (Redmax EB7001). Hope this helps you out.
  3. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

i have 2 backpacks and 2 hand blowers. the handheld that i bought for 70.00 at home depot (aka the pussy) works great, uses very little gas and if it breaks ill throw it out and buy another. I use it more than my echo backpack. I prefer a handheld. I dont think your blower will be exploding.
  4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

there is night and day diff between the 2. I had a backpak stolen a couple weeks ago. I cant afford a new 1, so I got a hand held.It takes me twice as long to blow off what needs blown off. But a hand held is alot faster than having to sweep( I had to sweep 4 homes). A Hnd held would be good if you have a place that has very little blowing needed. Other than that Backpak 100%.
  5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I use my backpacks 95% of the time I like my hand held for blowing off my mowers and I take the hand held with me on the mower and a trimmer bungy cord them down and off to mow
  6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

A quick look at the specs for each type would have told you that the backpacks move more cubic feet of air per min (cfm) than the handhelds and usually at a higher velocity(mph).

As was posted previously it all comes down to what you need to blow off that determines the best one to use. Handhelds are great tools for small areas while the backpacks are tops for more productivity in a large area.

Cash available makes many decisions easy. Chose wisely and secure the blower so it doesn't sprout legs. Fires on blower models with leaking fuel tanks are a hazard and have caused a few models to be recalled. Do a search to assure yourself and act accordingly.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hate it that it got stolen but I have to ask, 6 years in business and you can not afford to buy a $500.00 tool. Thats sad.

They both have their place with the handheld good for small quick jobs of just clippings, Back pac for the power needs
  8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Pmlawn, you've just pointed out one of the things I keep talking about.
    It's not unusual for an lco to have a job. That means as you probably know that there is no extra profit for buying new equipment as the owner is having to spend it all on living. Nothing wrong with that but I think M&M said it once that a lot of lco all over are buying a job. It is a fact of life and it reflects many things about the lawncare business when a 12 year old is allowed to mow lawns for $5... :hammerhead: