Backpack Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by kwoods, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

When Echo did that tube thing, they used wooden croquet balls.
    I saw it and bought a 750 on the spot.
    Man, you must have gotten a lemon.
    I've had a 750 for 10 years and a 650 for 8 years and I just break the starter ropes.
  2. Chevy z71

Chevy z71 LawnSite Fanatic

Just bought a new 600mag and its sweet.
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

See my point about different blowers work for different people with different needs. This is why I only patronize dealers willing to let me try new gear before I plunk down cash on 4 new blowers. Let's not even bring up other facts like comfort especially if you need to wear one 8 hours. Tube or hip throttle options are important considerations too.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ericg likes this.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No, and I'll tell you why. Neither has a very good reputation for lasting very well. I have never seen anyone around here use one either, though there is one place that keeps the 854 ( the latest version of the other two) in stock just in case someone wants to try one. I've never seen one sell while I've been in there though, and that is quite a bit over the summer season.
  5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Both are very important. I wear one all day long in the fall normally, and believe me, we get the leaves here in the fall :dizzy:. They are all I use for leaves 90% of the time. I can't stand hip mount throttles either for use or comfort. It just makes no sense to me since you have to hang onto the tube anyway, and I like to be able to use my free hand for whatever I need to (trash etc) while running the throttle up and down, like you need to around mulch beds etc.
  6. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm fair enough, as I say Ive had mine for 5yrs, used every day(working day :)), never had a problem with reliability. Anyhow hopefully it goes for another 5yrs, looks like the 854 has less power.

Id like something with 90-99cc, why not I say? I usually don't have the blower on shoulder for longer than 1hr so weight is not a big deal, id prefer to have the extra power and get job done better/quicker. Im really only talking about blowing gum leaves from big carpark areas, quite often Im standing there wishing the thing would blow harder! haha :)
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Ow 'bout a small jet engine that not only blows them like crazy, but incinerates them while doing it! HA!!:drinkup:
  8. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

hmm theres an idea, saves picking them up at the end!!
  9. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Well how long are they lasting?
  10. crevinalandscapingllc

crevinalandscapingllc LawnSite Member

We run the new redmax 8500s and 7500s definantky go with the 7500s they're cheaper lighter and move leaves just as good as the 8500s in most situations plus better on gas!