backpack blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Treeslayer, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Treeslayer

Treeslayer LawnSite Member

I just bought the new Stihl BR 420, is any other brand more powerful?

I like the Stihl, just always looking for more power.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I can not help you with other brands, but all my handheld equipment are Stihls. I have never had any problems with Stihl.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

this will open a can of worms, but the answers you'll get are.

echo, redmax, shindaiwa (in no particular order)

i've got a echo BP 750t (biggest they make) i love it.

4. Treeslayer

Treeslayer LawnSite Member

what about the husqvarnas?

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I checked out the Husky's......but decided to stick with Shindiawa since that is what my other stuff is.......

Husky's were good equipment.......

Derek

6. ccwmlw

ccwmlw LawnSite Member

I have a new Echo. I do not know about power,but I am pleased with my Echo. I would say they are pretty much the same, just preference.

7. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

A friend of mine who prefers Husqvarna power equipment recently purchased one of their blowers (BT165 model, I think). It seems to have a little more oomph than my Stihl BR420C "Magnum", it is definitely much quieter and has a much more comfortable harness. The workmanship and materials are top notch, too. Based on my limited experience with one model, I am favorably impressed with Husqvarna blowers.

A few guys I know swear by Redmax and have some that are heavy but very powerful.

My BR420C recently took a forty foot plunge onto asphalt :dizzy: during an intense gutter cleaning job ($300.00 gross; pretty intense I say!). It sustained only a few scuffs and purred like a kitten. It leaked a little gas because a fitting on top of the tank cracked but $13.00 had me back in spec. Tough tool that Stihl!

I am probably going to by a second blower before the Season is out and will most likely get another Stihl BR420C. The power to weight ratio has been more than adequate for my needs and logistics will be kept simple.

8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just try the redmax eb7001 you'll change your mind about the stihl, I know I did after using 10 stihls and only one redmax.
    Now all my equipment is RM

9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

All the backpack blowers (8) that we use at the College are Redmax. We've been using that brand for at least the last five years. The crews love them, the mechanic loves them

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a BR-420 and it does a good job for what I need, though have used others a bit more powerful. Perhaps you should consider reliability, parts availibility, and service as well as power. You could end up with a super blower and then be unable to get it serviced or locate parts for it... and that would be a bummer, eh?