Backpack hard to start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by QuadRacer041, Oct 8, 2010.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Redmax 8000 backpack, I put a new top end in it back at the beginning of the summer but havent had a problem until a few weeks ago. The blower is hard to start when cold, first start up of the day. After that it starts no problem. I have replaced the spark plug but that didnt work. I dont think the new top end has anything to do with it because the problem only just started happening. Airfilter is clean. Only thing I can think of is a carb issue but what could it be?

2. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

You may be not priming the engine good enough. Give a few more squirts of the primer bulb, perhaps.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Replacing the plug is one thing, but did you gap it?

If that's not it then it's likely the choke.

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure you close the choke all the way. It happened to me on my Maruyama last year. All of a sudden, took like 7 pull to start, I went through the whole nine yards just to find out the choke lever was getting stiff and my normal flip of the choke with my pinky DID NOT close it all the way!!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

After that, everything went back to normal of 2 pulls start. Think it's too stupid to be true? I went through the guanlet!!!

5. QuadRacer041

I will check the choke and let you guys know, thanks.

6. QuadRacer041

Well u guys were right. The screw that holds the choke plate tight against the air duct was loose preventing a tight seal. Tighten it up and now it starts on the first or second pull yesterday and today. Thanks guys!
    Posted via Mobile Device