Backpack or Handheld Blower?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Peter120, Mar 3, 2014.

1. NoFearSpear

NoFearSpear LawnSite Member

+1
    We have a winner ;)

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Except, when one finds themselves involved in something they didn't plan and, then, finds they should've gotten the bigger one.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

How do you just find yourself in a blower situation? Don't you guys do hands on estimates and pay attention to what your bidding on? As stated big leaf moving is done with walk behinds, plows, vacuums and power brooms.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

If I based blower choice on my current client list, I COULD get by with a HH. However, I've decided to move out of this overworked town and focus on another community I was already servicing (definitely overlooked). Outside that community, about five miles into the sticks, is a 400 acre, wooded development of extremely nice homes (many are weekend, vacation homes). There are strict covenants and the area is full of cleanup potential, regular maintenance, applications, etc. Last year, when I bought BP, I had no idea this would be somewhere I'd end up. Likewise, I made one contact and had a bunch of lakeside properties dropped into my lap, this year. Again, unexpected. My urban work doesn't require a BP, but, this stuff does. I'm glad I bought what I did or I'd be facing the inevitable of having to buy a bigger blower.

5. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

Both. Just not worth strapping on a back pack for a few grass clippings. Behind bushes and mulch beds hand held rules. Big drive ways and streets I run the mower in reverse with the blades turning. 10 times faster than a back pack.

6. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Stihl! Stihl! Stihl! I have a 2004 BR600 that I have used every year and continue to use with my 2013 BR600. Only difference between the two is the tubes and paint. Other than that I would get them mixed up lol.

7. MultiPros

MultiPros LawnSite Member
    from Oviedo

Dealing with string trimmers and edgers is enough work. When i put on the backpack blower it is refreshingly light ;)

8. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think that having both can be the best idea. You will always need a backpack, but for blowing off side walks you are faster with the handheld. Get the stihl Br600 first and see if you would benefit from a handheld.

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Handheld for blowing grass. Backpack for leaves.

10. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

BR600.... Never look back.