Backpack or Handheld Blower?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Peter120, Mar 3, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

its the same reason why guys in new mexico have 4x4 v8s pulling lawn trailersÂ…. what if there was a blizzard and I needed to plow??? then I'd be stuck with this less expensive, cheaper to insure, gas sipping 2wd v6! oh the horrorÂ…better go for a v8 4x4 just in case!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Not every new guy has 500 bucks burning a hole in his pocket.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. hmlawn

hmlawn LawnSite Member

Echo PB-200 all the way! :laugh::laugh:

If you're a professional or a homeowner with a large yard, you should get a backpack. Handhelds have their place, but as some people said, if you have any breeze, they're a pain to use, in addition to not being as powerful.

4. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

After 5 pages im guessing you have discovered there are many opinons about this topic...LOL. I said it previously id suggest the back pack. I started out using the poulan pro disposable handheld blowers, and also used the blower attachment made for their split shaft trimmers. Believe it or not, I liked the blower attachment for the poulan pro trimmer more than the handheld because it was easier to use in my opinion.

I still say if you don't have either, spend the 500 bucks on a Stihl BR600 and don't look back! I agree that a handheld can be useful too, and I plan to buy a stihl handhald that can also be used as a vacuum. Its nitch is that I can use it to suck up leaves in crevices and behind bushes, in little areas where I don't want to blow them out with the backpack.

Having the power of the backpack is always handy and you never know when your going to need it! it can do so much more than a handheld day in and day out. I read a great deal about all the backpack choices, and found in the end that the BR 600 was my best option. Its NOT quite the biggest, and it isn't the heaviest either! So that meant to me for day to day use, it would fit the bill. Now that I have the back pack, I may pick up the handheld with vacuum option, but I KNOW that I wouldn't have wanted the handheld first, and then save up for the back pack...no way. Backpack first!

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree.

The HH fills a niche, whereas, the BP covers the general use of one's day-to-day operation.

6. ANT1093

ANT1093 LawnSite Member

Backpack. It's nice to have the extra power when you need it.

7. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Love backpacks but I want a Stihl BG model so I can suck up some of my messes!

8. Patriot Services

Are you referring to their shred n vac set up? We have two of the Echo versions. They work great for fine detail work, but switching back and forth between blower and vacuum would be a pain.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Yeah the Blower/Vacuum. It would be a pain but it would be worth it for cleaning up stuff like lirope. Plus I wonder if the gutter attachment really works.

10. Patriot Services

If you mean the hooked tube for blowing out gutters, yes it works good. Even better if you have low pitch roofs like we do down here we just take it up there with us. Instead of blowing the gutters out the vacuum will suck them clean. The mulching feature let's us do a 2000 sq ft home on two bag fulls.
    Posted via Mobile Device