Backpack or Handheld Blower?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Peter120, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Compared to a broom, then a HH blower is a Light Saber! And a BP blower is then a Star Destroyer!!
    Bottom line: clean up yo' mess when you're done.

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. I never forget. That's why I still have the smallest of everything, reasonably durable. Nearly all my equipment is stuff I started with or bought the first time. I just replaced my string trimmer this year (with Stihl's smallest gear-drive), because the Echo's string is too small and simply uses too much, day after day, and the ergonomics were bothering me. The exceptions to my rule are my BR600 and X-ONE. After having to use a BG55, I realized the importance of big air in a blower. And, I wanted Hustler's VX4 and EFI, which put me into the model I have. Being solo, I firmly believe in the smallest, lightest, least expensive, and most efficient stuff I can buy and still get the features that make sense. The "go big or go home" attitude is for someone else.

3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

i never saw original poster say a word about money so the thought never crossed my mind

and even if he did ide say its extremely important for the quality of his jobs thusly his business to weild a bp's power . so even if you must buy on credit from a dealer do so . not to mention the time it'll save which'll in itself very quickly replace the extra money spent on it vs a handhelds cost

4. ducnut

I know this thread is past its freshness date, but, no HH will move this. I don't care how much time you have to spend.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was just the front yard. The back was about half-again more and all had to be humped, one trash can at a time. :weightlifter:

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

However did we get along before backpacks? But, we did.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I'll add this to keep the post "fresh" LOL....I ran into a clean up job the other day and decided it would be a great place for a handheld blower/shredder vac. It did save time under CERTAIN situations, but I still HAD to have the blower. I thought the shredder vac would vacuum leaves out from under the shrubs, NOPE....didn't work. Blower blew them out instead.

I also discovered that the shredder vac will put a workout on the forearms when used as a blower for an hour or so. We used it in conjuction with the backpack. I wouldn't trade my backpack if someone offered me 3 shredder/blowers in its place! The back pack is THAT good.

7. 321birdguy

321birdguy LawnSite Senior Member

for me i have 2 back packs a small huskavarna and a br600 both work 600 for leaves small one for general ...grass etc

8. ducnut

A rake and manual labor, which no one wants do. If so, I wouldn't have so many clean-ups to do, including clean-ups at properties another LCO "cares for".......lazy bum.

If I can get the nozzle of my BR600 into the top of the bush/shrub, I just stick it right down in there and give it full throttle. Everything in and under will blow right out from under it.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

backpack all the way. why use something that can blow from 10ft away when you can have something that can blow debris from 25ft away?

less walking around needed and more efficiency with a backpack blower.

10. gardiner

gardiner LawnSite Member

BP,, for the heavy growing season and spring/fall clean ups, i even used for light snow .
    HH, for slow growing season & some jobs, or cleaning out the truck/trailer/shop .
    HH, is nice to have at times . And small enough to have with you. as a back up .
    My BP is used 80% of the year .