Backpack or Handheld Blower?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Peter120, Mar 3, 2014.

1. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying a handheld just doesn't pay, it's a pita to use by comparison.

A cheap backpack is better than a good handheld anyday in my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

If you have any jobs that involve blowing a parking lot you will find that a back pack blower will be your best friend. I started out with a hand held and one problem I found with those is that you will put it down and forget about and next thing you know it grew legs and walked away. With a back pack it is on your back and is kind of hard to forget about it. I have seen decent used BP blowers on craigslist for $50 to $100.

3. Ffrandl

Ffrandl LawnSite Member

BACKPACK hands down its a life saver for a subdivision I maintain
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RichardC

RichardC LawnSite Member
    from NH

backpack for sure, for most of the time.. i just upgraded to the redmax 8500 from an old stihl 550, that thing can blow over a stack of firewood. that being said, im still going to pick up a cheap handheld, as the 8500 too big, bulky, and unnecessary when all i need is about 10 seconds to clean off a driveway. cant wait for leaf cleanup this year though..

5. cli99

cli99 LawnSite Member

Backpack!!!!! I hate the handhelds, you get a little tired after some time using them!!

6. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

BR600 will pay for itself in a day or two.. we have 3, one for everyone in the crew. That is a good rule of thumb, if you have two guys working, you buy 2 of each item. I would be pissed if I saw one guy standing around watching another guy weed whipping or blowing when they could both be doing it at the same time, saving me time and money. This probably doesn't make sense with a 5000$ mower, but you get the idea.

7. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

For any kind of serious blowing there is no question that a backpack blower is more efficient but, if we're talking about blowing dry grass clippings off hard surfaces then I think that the BPs are often overkill. My workers insist on the BPs yet I can grab the HH and get the job done faster with less noise and less fuel. If you walk up one side of the driveway while blowing then hit the sidewalk and return to the truck while blowing the other side of the drive then you don't need much power. I think that is also important that we professionals consider pollution and especially noise. A lack of consideration is why some municipalities have instituted blower bans.

8. 04fivefour

04fivefour LawnSite Member

I went back pack because i always got a tingling in my hands that made them like itch with a handheld from the vibrations. I would practically scratch my hands off and couldn't get it to quit. I love my Echo BP Blower :)

9. 04fivefour

04fivefour LawnSite Member

Have you tried the battery power stihl line? I see them at the stihl dealer but have never tried one.

10. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

After a full day of blowing I'll get the tingling in my fingers as well. Not so bad this spring, but last year running the S130 plowing snow it was way worse. I think this is a symptom from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Why would you bother with battery anything?