backpack or push sprayer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by gcbailey, Sep 27, 2013.

1. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

100 gal. skid sprayer mix urea and selective weed control

2. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, just looked at the first post and saw looking to spend under a 1,000.. Disregard the last post....

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I've decided to go the route of making a custom boom similar to Greendoctor's and going with the gas powered back pack. I think at this point in time with the amount of clients we've took on this fall (18), and that our largest lawn to be treated is just over 1/2 acre, I believe the backpack route will be the best. Granted if I had picked up or pick up some of our larger clients, I would have to consider something else. But right now, I think this will be the best to "grow into".

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

An engine drive backpack will cover 7,000 sq ft on one filling. Of course, you may re nozzle it so it will cover 14,000. I like 1 gallon per 1000 for my weed treatments. Less drift problems and coverage of hard to control weeds is assured. I am still not comfortable with the idea of a spray system dispensing a few larger drops of mixed solution per weed rather than completely covering without run off. Likewise, applying 2-10 gallons per 1000 as coarse drops is how I would handle products that must reach the soil such as fertilizers, preemergents, or insect controls, but not for foliar herbicides. Then again, there are a number of products I routinely spray that have a water volume and spray droplet quality instruction.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

How much water for foliar fungicides?

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

1 gallon will cover. However, nozzle type and spraying pressure changes. I am no longer as paranoid about drift, so the AI tips come off, hollow cone nozzles go on and pressure goes up to 100 PSI.