1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack plus Handheld

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GlynnC, Dec 2, 2009.

1. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I know many of you have used the technique of using both backpack and handheld blowers at the same time, but yesterday was my first. My grandson and I were doing the fall leaf cleanup for a fairly large commercial account. I had been using a Shin 8510 almost all day to blow leaves from the grass areas--then started the 100 car parking lot. I decided to give it a try with the Echo handheld also. The results was almost unbelievable. The added volume was good, but the direction control was great.

I know Alan0354 often talks about using the combo--wow did it work great yesterday.

Thanks for the tips presented on this forum!
  2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny you speak of this. Today was the first time I saw this. It seemed to work great. I always have the typical problem of leaves making a circle and coming back toward me when I blow. A handheld may fix this problem.
  3. W.L.M.

W.L.M. LawnSite Senior Member

I started double wielding the blowers this fall with a br600 and a husqvarna hand blower and man it is great you have close to the power of a wheeled 8 horse blower but way more mobility and direction control. I find myself using 2 blowers for everything now, even blowing the road off at the HOA I mow. The abilitiy to just buzz through everything and fight the wind is worth the extra gas useage and believe me you use alot.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It does, I started doing leaves that way about 2-3 years ago, the biggest problem is
    once you start doing that crap you can't go back to doing it the old way LOL!
    You won't, now that you've experienced it, you might use just the backpack once in a bit
    but I can tell you it doesn't take me long to grab that hand held, yup, every time.

But if you think that's powerful?
    Now it took time to build up to this next one, for me it did because I'm not that big of a guy and it takes a bit of strength...
    Try using the push blower and the back pack at the same time.
    I got the idea from a video on Youtube :laugh:

The hardest part is getting the nozzles to line up half way but once they do, in my case the
    combination dumps out 3,000 cfm's and I promise you ain't never seen so many leaves MOVING lol

Half the time I use the bp to clean up the stuff that's stuck to the ground
    as I'm pulling the push blower behind me, that works good too.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I was just trying to find specifications about this and I ran into this deal for the Vermont area...
    $849 for a 10hp Billy Goat push blower, that's a good deal, I paid near a grand for mine (maybe 900 but 8 years ago).

6. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I am glad!!:waving:

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

sounds like a good technique but i only have the BP blower and dont wanna buy a handheld
  8. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I was using this technique today. It was raining and leaves were stuck to the ground and muddy. Even with my BR600 and 10HP Little Wonder blowing at the same time, the leaves would hardly move once in a little pile.
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

The difference is this is all or nothing. With the hand held, it is more useful. YOu do small job with hand held, medium job with bp, and big leaves with both.

And you can buy a very small and cheap hand held like the Husky 125Bt for $149 or Echo 265? for about 160. I found the hand held is very useful when use it for blowing off chipping and loose dirt on concrete after mowing and trimming. The time it take to put on the bp, you can finish the little blowing with the hand held.

The hand held is not just to add power, it can serve as directing the dirt to the main blower to blow. With the hand held, you can hold it farther from your body to direct the stream towards the main bp. With two tube as shown, you really cannot hold the tube away from you body and blow back. With the twin tube blower, you can blow a wider path, but you really cannot direct and blow.