Backpack Spray Tips

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Which spray tips are you using to spot spray weeds , broadcast spraying and other spraying while using backpack sprayer ? I have tried many different tee jet tips and was curious to what other's use . Thanks Scott .

2. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

The fan spray (usually red) is my favorite by far. I was taught to use the stream but that is useless in my opinion. Just make sure nothing is blocking your flow regularly.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

tee jet fan 8006, gets me about 1 gal per 1000

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

I like the adjustable nozzle, the fan tip is to fine a spray if your spraying herbicides will be more out to drift

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yep the 8006 is pretty much the standard nozzle for spot spraying weeds with a back pack. Calibration of a gallon a thousand works good on short grassy weeds in ornamental beds and sidewalk cracks.

Get into total turf blanket kill out and a higher rate of sprayer per thousand works better. Therefore a larger tip. Start spraying heavy brush and you better add 2,4-D or a 3 way herbicide as well as increasing the volume per sq ft.

As for the adjustable cone fan tips, They put out way to much product for spot treating. They might have a place but I haven't found it yet, I throw them away.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Each to his own. I like the adjustable cone tips. I get about 2000 sqft per gallon, (if I keep the pressure fairly low). No sense carrying around more water than needed.

It is best to spray a gallon of water on concrete--measure the sqft covered per gallon, and calibrate carefully for accurate rates.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have only used the adjustable cone myself - finer mist on more calm days a little more coarse droplet on marginal wind days. I have a red flat fan tip have not used it

8. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Tried the fan tip and calibrated my sprayer on pavement to get a walking pace again with new sprayer. Didn't like the red tip fan nozzle, what I noticed was a wide pattern and heavier at the top and bottom and areas in the middle were thin to just gaps missed. My adjustible nozzle gives a uniform even pattern and can adjust to the width I like and if I'm spraying tree's I can adjust that to spray 15 feet high.

I also like this CFvalve (Control Flow) keeps an even 28 Lbs of pressure no matter how high you have the sprayer pumped up to and if you drop below the 21 Lbs the sprayer cuts off, not drips and no leaks :drinkup:

http://www.chapinmfg.com/ShowCFValve.asp

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Weeds spot sprayed in landscape beds-solid cone ceramic disc-core tips.

Broadcast spraying in lawns is done with AI 110VS tips.

Don't like to spot spray lawns, but if it is done, it is done with an AI tip operated to paint a square over the area of weeds. No slashes made in the lawn caused by holding the tip close over the top of the weed while not moving.

The tips that come with many backpack and hand sprayers demonstrate the saying "you get what you pay for". They were free, right? They go in the trash and are replaced, along with the plastic trigger and flimsy wand for a Teejet trigger with a stainless steel wand.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I use an 8002 in my Stihl backpack.
    Posted via Mobile Device